Trouble with Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newsalt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A co-worker just but a small 2 gallon tank for his daughter. They have an internal filter and no heater. They started off with two male guppies. Within one day, one of the guppies was dead. A day or two later, they introduce another male guppy. Overnight, the new guppy was dead. His water quality is good. Could there be a dominant thing going on? Is the 2 gallon tank too small for just 2 male guppies. Can someone offer some advice?

Thanks

hi i hv two gallons tank with two guppies too .However they died within a month ( i would consider mystery death as the parameters are alright) still i dunt think that guppies can thrive in a very small tank..

I used to have 1 male and 3 females (together with 2-3 coridoras) in a 7g tank. The female gave birth and the children too until I arrived having 17 guppies. The bioload was considerably high but the fishes adapted to high values of contamination. There were hardly plants, 1 big stone in the middle and that's all. I know that this is not a tank where fishes can be happy. I didn't have another tank and I didn't want to give away my fishes. But they survived all!! They even continued breeding but the new born were getting eaten because there were 2 or 3 pregnant females at the same time!!!

I don't think space is a problem...maybe wait for some time before introducing new fish

Guppies are notoriously in bad shape when they're sold. If they're dying in that little time, I'd think that maybe they were sick or overstressed to begin with. You might suggest that they acclimate new fish for a longer period of time. If the child is to take care of the fish, I'd definitely recommend a big tank with very few fish. There tends to be just a LITTLE overfeeding when you let younger kids take care of the fishies. =P Thankfully, kids are learning machines so its an easy fix over time.

Back
Top Bottom