trying fishless cycle, but tank is all cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello there,

So in an effort to save a few fish I am trying a fishless cycle on our new 55gal tank in my son's room. We just upgraded from a 10gal, we wanted a bigger tank and a friend gave us his old one. We set it up and I wanted to try the fishless cycle so I didn't inadvertently kill some poor wee fish. I have the undergravel filter and a power filter running (couldn't afford a canister at this point) and tried API Stress Zyme. I doubt any bacteria is is alive in the bottle and now our tank is all cloudy. Any suggestions on what to do next? I am on my way out to pick up some ammonia and a test kit.

Please give me a little insight.

It is a white-ish cloud? If so, it is most likely the beneficial bacteria free-floating in the water. This is referred to as a bacterial bloom. Eventually, they bacteria will colonize with the majority of that colonization taking place in your filter(s).

I think a cloudy bacteria bloom is a different type of bacteria than your beneficial bacteria.

Either way, it sounds like a bacteria bloom. It's a pretty common occurrence when high ammonia levels are present. I wouldn't worry about it while you're cycling.

I think a cloudy bacteria bloom is a different type of bacteria than your beneficial bacteria.

Either way, it sounds like a bacteria bloom. It's a pretty common occurrence when high ammonia levels are present. I wouldn't worry about it while you're cycling.

You are probably right on this, although it is still possible it is the beneficial bacteria.

Bacterial Blooms Explained - Tropical Fish Forums

my ammonia levels are wicked low and i have not been able to find any pure ammonia.... darn. should i try throwing in some fish flakes?

skiweeangel said:
my ammonia levels are wicked low and i have not been able to find any pure ammonia.... darn. should i try throwing in some fish flakes?

Yes, anything that will feed the bacteria is good IMO. I used some left over peas (slightly crushed) in a coffee filter and got a huge bacteria bloom. That (for food) and some seeded filter media and I was fully cycled in less than 48hrs. Fish shopping today I hope, but I've been adding crushed flakes to keep cycled.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Back
Top Bottom