Trying my first tropical tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poliwog17

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am hoping y'all can keep me from making any stupid decisions that might hurt my fishies lol. I got plants and picked out my fish yesterday after cycling my tank another week from when my goldfish died and they all seem to be pretty happy! I lost a neon tetra but in all the tank is doing pretty well except my water is a little murky. I did a 50% water change. I don't know if it's the addition of the plants or what though. I guess I will have to do a full tank change maybe?

You need to test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate with a good liquid test kit (API Master). It's the only way to know what exactly is going on with the tank. What size tank and what fish did you add? So your goldfish died and you let the tank run for a week before adding more fish? Without an ammonia source to feed on it's likely you might have lost some of the bacteria in the filter which might be causing a mini cycle. The only way to know for sure what's happening is to test the water.

librarygirl said:
You need to test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate with a good liquid test kit (API Master). It's the only way to know what exactly is going on with the tank. What size tank and what fish did you add? So your goldfish died and you let the tank run for a week before adding more fish? Without an ammonia source to feed on it's likely you might have lost some of the bacteria in the filter which might be causing a mini cycle. The only way to know for sure what's happening is to test the water.

I tested my water at my LFS and they said my ammonia was too high because of having goldfish and my ph was at 9. They said everything else was good but recommended ph down.

They're just trying to sell you stuff. :) It's often best not to mess with PH unless you have to. PH swings can cause more harm to fish than the actual number. Most fish can adapt to your tank's PH. Also what test kit did the LFS use? Most use strips which aren't accurate and it's best to be able to test your water when you need to (when problems arise). Getting your own liquid test kit is a good investment. Is the water a milky white? If so it could be a bacterial bloom, which is normal and likely due to a mini-cycle; it should settle on it's own. I'd keep up with some frequent water changes until you can get your own test kit so you can tell exactly what's going on with the tank.

I have read that it is best to not mess with your ph because fish will adapt and it will stay a steady level if you don't mess with it. The LFS was definitely just trying to sell me thing he tried to sell me 2 different water test kits and a whole bunch of drops to condition my water to stop the murkiness. I declined all of them seeing as I have monthly maintenance drops my tetra that are supposed to be total health drops for your tank. I acquired some free fish from someone getting rid of their tank and they gave me some gravel too. I added the gravel after cleaning it very well and doing a 75% water change (which was recommended by associate at LFS). I ended up buying a pack of strips but are not accurate at all. I think I have too many fish for my 10g but I was told that they would be fine as long as I do a 50% water change weekly. My hubby is getting me a 25g tank for Christmas so I figured they would all be fine until then as long as I routinely change their water. However with all of the misinformation I got from that associate I am wondering if I should not have taken on the extra fish.

The water isn't milky it is just a little murky but I am wondering if it is just the new rocks and sediment that may have been mixed in with them. I plan to buy a good ground cover when j get my bigger tank to give my plants something good and hardy to root to but for right now they just have the rocks so maybe the rocks getting moved around is what is causing the cloudiness? Also the water is much clearer today after doing my 75% change and adding my maintenance drops but still a little murky.

Aqadvisor.com told me my tank is overstocked (which I know >.<) at 141%! It recommends 70% water change weekly. If I follow that do you think they fish would be alright in the smaller tank until Christmas? They are all getting along great right now. The Glofish and the Zebra Danio have joined together as one school and although I only have 3 neons they seem to be very happy. I guess I should say what all is in the tank.

4 Longfin Zebra Danio
6 Glofish
3 Neon Tetra
2 Red eye Tetra
3 Ghost Shrimp

The neons, red eye and ghost shrimp were gifted fish but it has been a few days since they have been in the tank and they seem to be socializing and doing well. The red eyes just stay together but all of my other fish are socializing. I read that it is best to have both of these tetras in schools of 5 or more so when I get a bigger tank I will add a few of these to it so they won't all get lonely but for now my tank is already overstocked.

All of my neon tetra and 2 Glofish have died. I checked my water and there doesn't seem to be anything amiss except a high ph. I was planning to get a plecostomus since my plants are producing a lot of algae but I don't want to put him in an unstable tank :/

I was told to check my ammonia level so I am ordering some things online. Probably give petmountain a try.

are you drip aquamating or floating the bag when adding fish

Yes, what size tank?

Aqadvisor recommends weekly water changes based on a fully cycled tank. If your tank isn't yet cycled (e.g. showing ammonia or/and nitrite) you need to do extra water changes to keep those levels down.

I have been doing a 25-50% water change every 3 days. And I floated the bags.

Do not add any more fish right now; your tank is overstocked and the fish are already stressed and it's likely there's ammonia or nitrite in the tank. It's also very likely underfiltered for the amount of fish you have in a 10 gal. Doing water changes every three days may be enough but likely it isn't. You really need to test the water daily with a good liquid test kit (API Master) and let the test dictate when to do water changes (when ammonia and/or nitrite are over .25). If you can get an early Christmas present the fish would appreciate the larger tank sooner rather than later.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Also just floating the bag doesn't correctly acclimate the fish. It just acclimates them to temperature but not other things in your tank. Drip acclimation is best or you add a small amount of tank water to the fish's bag every 20 minutes or so. DO this until the water volume in the bag doubles. Then remove half the water and do it again.

Awesome tysm everyone, particularly librarygirl. I will do that from now on and any time I have a question I will refrain from asking my LFS ha!

I am positive I have a pregnant glofish. I have live plant cover in my tank but still want to get a breeder box. I have a heater that isn't adjustable it keeps itself at 78• I plan to buy a 5g for my betta so I will probably put that one over to that tank and get a new one. Never had fry before...

I am positive I have a pregnant glofish. I have live plant cover in my tank but still want to get a breeder box. I have a heater that isn't adjustable it keeps itself at 78• I plan to buy a 5g for my betta so I will probably put that one over to that tank and get a new one. Never had fry before...

Glofish don't get pregnant, they aren't live bearers. Glofish lay eggs. She could be full of eggs but usually they get eaten and there's no way to tell when she'll lay them. The fatness could be some sort of bloating, which could not be good. What do you feed and how often?

I feed them tropical flakes 1x a day and blood worms 3x a week. I thought it could be bloating but she is getting BIG and all the other fish in the tank are nipping at her. Should I separate her into a breeding container anyway just to see what's up with her? If I put plants in it will any of the eggs survive or would the mom eat them all too?

Maybe you can tell better than I if it is full of eggs or just fat.

Attachments

• image-3134564006.jpg
    image-3134564006.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 50
  • image-2859827135.jpg
    image-2859827135.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 51
  • image-3791243700.jpg
    image-3791243700.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom