Trying to fix stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slickdc5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
55g. Currently I have:

3x angels
2x bosami rainbow
2x turquoise rainbow
1x blood parrot
1x tiger barb

3x Emerald Cory
2x Cuckoo catfish
1x bushy nose Pleco

I have a Fluval 306 series running.

I was told that I have an overstock, which is what probably cause my tank to be attacked by rot and ich. I've had these fishes since they were small and its a been about 2 years. My normal water change was 10% a week, but I was told by another member that I should be doing 50% water changes, so in short I want to lower that % change and just have the right amount of fish for tank.

So far I'm willing to give away my cory's and tiger barb. I know common plecos tend to be messy, but does that also apply to bristle nose(4inch)? Any opinions on what else to do?

I would just get rid of the parrot since they usually get pretty big. The Birstlenoses don't poop as much as the common ones!! I have both and the common has the worst bioload ever!!! If not parrot maybe get rid of Corys.

IMO you shouldnt change less than 50% a week regardless of how many fish you have

and imo you need to lose the parrot, get at least 5 more tiger barbs they like a group

I agree with everyone about the water changes.. regardless of you stock you should be doing water changes around 50%
I would say rehome the parrot

IMO you shouldnt change less than 50% a week regardless of how many fish you have

and imo you need to lose the parrot, get at least 5 more tiger barbs they like a group
Well thats one of the reasons I was thinking of getting rid of the tiger barb since they prefer to be groups of 5....

I agree with everyone about the water changes.. regardless of you stock you should be doing water changes around 50%
I would say rehome the parrot

But I guess I am pushing toward ridding the parrot :(. However, so you guys are saying regardless I should be changing 50% every week? I was under the assumption that its okay to change your water every 2 weeks during filter maintenance unless your overstocked in which you would do it more often. :facepalm: ugh well at least this is a learning experience for me. Well at the moment I'm changing about 25% a day cause I'm still undergoing the heat/salt treatment for ich for about 6 more days. In any case thanks for the advice

BTW no plants in tank anymore just straight driftwood.

55g. Currently I have:

3x angels
2x bosami rainbow
2x turquoise rainbow
1x blood parrot
1x tiger barb

3x Emerald Cory
2x Cuckoo catfish
1x bushy nose Pleco

I have a Fluval 306 series running.

Please do get rid of the tiger barb. I would not want to see your angels terrorized by your tiger barb, especially a single one (without a school, the more aggressive they are).

I would also bump your rainbow schools to six, or get rid of one species and have a big school.

A BN pleco is fine.

But I guess I am pushing toward ridding the parrot :(. However, so you guys are saying regardless I should be changing 50% every week? I was under the assumption that its okay to change your water every 2 weeks during filter maintenance unless your overstocked in which you would do it more often.

Everyone has a different opinion on water change frequency, most people here agree on a weekly WC schedule, but there are plenty who go 2 weeks or more in between WC's as well.

When nitrates are an issue or keeping pristine conditions are a concern, then keeping a strict WC regimen is at the top of the list.

Please do get rid of the tiger barb. I would not want to see your angels terrorized by your tiger barb, especially a single one (without a school, the more aggressive they are).

I would also bump your rainbow schools to six, or get rid of one species and have a big school.

A BN pleco is fine.

Actually I've had the opposite happen. I've had them for 2 years like this the angels are about 5 to 6 inches big so the tiger doesn't bother them if anything he stays away in corner from them. I've decided to go for big schools species and so I'm rehoming the parrot tiger barb and cory's. Do you think I'm fine with 3 angels??

That's interesting! Some species don't always behave as they are always made out to be, so that cool.

I have always heard three angels in a tank is a bad combination. It seems that the third wheel is always bullied to death from reading/hearing of others experiences (of course, not everyone's experience is the same).

bruinsbro1997 said:
That's interesting! Some species don't always behave as they are always made out to be, so that cool.

I have always heard three angels in a tank is a bad combination. It seems that the third wheel is always bullied to death from reading/hearing of others experiences (of course, not everyone's experience is the same).

I have heard this too .. angels generally pair off

I have heard this too .. angels generally pair off

I'm guessing they are either all males or females since they haven't paired :lol:

I just took a picture and attached them

Attachments

• IMG_4260.jpg
    IMG_4260.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7226.jpg
    IMG_7226.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom