Trying to get my tank to cycle...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowinak

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have been trying to cycle my tank for 4 weeks now as of tonight my readings are...

Ph=has been unstable after adding Ph down, doing a large water change after cycling to correct this and not using any more ph chemicals
temp=81
ammonia=3.5-4 (hard to tell exactly)
nitrite=0.1 maybe a little less, hard to tell

So my main question is, is the ammonia level still pretty high after 4 weeks? I added pure ammonia got that tank up to 5ppm 4 weeks ago and seems like it just hasnt changed at all in over a week. At this point the colors on my ammonia chart are not much different from 5.0-2.5 so its hard to get an exact reading so im putting it right about where it seems it would be. Also, I used Blue Ribbon Clear Ammonia from my local hardware store im starting to wonder is maybe that was bad however this is what the MSDS says about the ingredients...

* | Section II - Hazardous Ingredients | * |___________________________________________________________________________| * Hazardous Components OSHA PEL ACGIH TLV OTHER LIMITS % OPTIONAL * (Specific Chemical * Identity, Common Name) * Ammonia (AS NH3) 50ppm 25ppm NIOSH * *(Ammonia Gas) 50 ppm* * * HOUSEHOLD AMMONIA- * FINISH PRODUCT NA NA

from my understanding thats pure ammonia. Is this just me being impatient or is something wrong?

Read some more tonight and turned my heater up a bit hoping for 85-86ish and it sounds like i really need to get this Ph figured out. Is it safe at this point to add Proper Ph 7.0? My tests are showing it way high, but from ive read that can also mean its way low. I just know its off the chart lol

Hi! Lets start one step at a time. No more ph-altering chemicals. If you havent done so already, do a 100% water change with temperature-matched, conditoned water to remove any of them from your tank. Make sure you dose the conditioner to the size of your tank before refilling it (unless your using buckets, then dose to buckets). I think adding all of these chemicals may have thrown your cycle into chaos here. Dose your amm to 4ppm when done (no higher).

Next, test the water parameters for your tap (amm, nitrite, nitrate). You will need to set out a cup (or pot/bucket) of your tap water. If you have an extra airstone or bubbler, put this in it. If you dont, then just give it a good stir whenever you remember to. Test your ph in 24hrs after it has time to gas out(both standard & high range ph). Post your results here so we can figure out where you are starting from & what your ph truly is & we can proceed from here! :)

Back
Top Bottom