trying to start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy123

Aquarium Advice Regular
okay, I've finally started to get my tank going, and it is NOT going so well! I am simply trying to set it up and everything keeps going wrong. I put the background on. I used that seaview stuff, and well, it is less than perfect, but it is going to have to do.

I poured about 3 inches of water into the tank. (two of my buckets) to double check one more time for leaks on the bottom seams. Thats where things went wrong. When pouring the second bucket in, the bucket slipped and tipped backward all over me, and the tank, and the floor and the stand. That's what has me ocncerned. I wiped up everything as best I could but some water seeped under the tank. With water already in the tank, I couldn't remove it by myself to completely dry it. I got my hair dryer and tried my best to make sure it was dry, but when I just looked the stand is sort of bubbled in that corner. It is a powder coated MDF stand and now I am worried that is is bubbled. Should I contnue to fill the tank? WIll it be okay? Or is the stands integrity ruined now?

On another note, I wasn't thinking....now that I have 3 inches of water in the tank, do I have to remove it to put the sand in? or just add the sand with the water already in there? Also, how deep should the sand be? I've heard 2 inches, and I've heard just to barely conver the bottom. I've messed up everything I've touched today, so just looking fro advice.

having a much better day today than yesterday. My tank is full of water, heater installed, filter installed, and about an inch to an inch and a half of sand on the bottom. I even have a couple decorations in place, still plenty more of those to purchase.

I have a list of things yet to buy, and am going to the lfs today. I was wondering what name brand chlorine remover you guys recommend and if thats the only "chemical" you guys add to your tanks? I just want to be prepared when the lfs employee starts talking. They know I am a newbie, and are always trying to sell me stuff. I've learned from you guys, most of what they are trying to sell me, I don't "need", nor will my fish, so any feedback is appreciated, thanks guys!

Shew, sounds like you had a rough start. I wouldn't worry about the stand. MDF bubbles, but if its just a little spot, no worries other than visual.

Prime is what you're looking for. A 500ml bottle lasts me around 6-8 months, you'll get well over a year with just your one tank. All you need other than the equipment (heater, filter,etc) are a good test kit and prime. You'll also need some pure ammonia (ace hardware is a good place for that).

Prime is generally considered the best dechlorinator. Dechlorinator is the only chemical I use in my tank. Along with melafix if need be. But I'm a Newbie as well, kinda, so I haven't figured out about all the chemicals and stuff.

Thanks just added "prime" to my list after dechlorinator so I don't forget the name! BettaBabe, we can learn all this together! It's pretty overwhelming at first, but getting easier. Rookie, I already have the ammonia from Ace, one of the first things I purchased! I can't wait to start using it and get this thing cycled, now that it is running I REALLY want some fish! Buying an API test kit today too. How necessary is an airpump and airstones? should I get one of those right away too?

Back
Top Bottom