Turn of filters and pumps at night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who turns off filters at night.

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
cage294 said:
Here is the article where I read about shutting off the filter: http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id1.html

I copied and pasted the quote where it is mentioned:

"I would also overfilter when it comes to the care of these frogs, it really helps with the water quality. For example, i use a Whisper powerfilter ment for a 70 gallon tank to filter my 40 gallon tank. I also suggest shutting off the filters at night. It gives them some peace and quiet and they do become very alive and active at night. I have been doing this for years and it has not made my water dirty or anything."

I have read this a few different places, when I was researching this topic.

No offense, but that is rubbish. Although Xenopus and Hymenochirus do appreciate relatively still water, stagnant water is to be avoided, and it is quite easy to reduce current from a filter outflow so it does not affect the frogs in any way at all.

Turning off a filter at night will have a considerable negative impact on the nitrifying bacteria population and will degrade water quality measurably....it is also rather hard on your filter.

Back
Top Bottom