Two heaters or one in a 77 gal ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moncrief2315

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. I recently pick up a 77 gal tank and It came lots of extras. Came with about five heaters. The guy said he used two at a time on it. I was wonder if this is necessary or can I just use one. Right now I’m using a top fin 300W and a top fin 200W. It came with two fluval 300W heaters. But there not fully submersible and have a knob for the temp but nothing to display what temp your setting it at. Not sure what to use or do here. Any advice would help. Thanks IMG_0514.jpgIMG_0001.jpg

My preference is to use two than one heater on a large tank. You can heat evenly on both sides of a long tank, and if one malfunctions, you still have the other to help keep things steady until you can replace it.

My preference is to use two than one heater on a large tank. You can heat evenly on both sides of a long tank, and if one malfunctions, you still have the other to help keep things steady until you can replace it.

Okay I’ll do that then to be safe. Should I stick to the ones I’m using or use the fluval ones that match?

Generally you run two if the tank is over 4 feet long. But running two regardless gives you a back up if one goes out.

Aquarium Heating

Hi. I recently pick up a 77 gal tank and It came lots of extras. Came with about five heaters. The guy said he used two at a time on it. I was wonder if this is necessary or can I just use one. Right now I’m using a top fin 300W and a top fin 200W. It came with two fluval 300W heaters. But there not fully submersible and have a knob for the temp but nothing to display what temp your setting it at. Not sure what to use or do here. Any advice would help. Thanks View attachment 312585View attachment 312586

Hello Mon...

Heating depends on the type of fish you keep and how well the heat is distributed in the tank. A couple of dual sponge filters will easily distribute the heat from one heater. If the heater is a good, dependable brand like Aqueon, your tank just needs one that's 300 watts. Position it in the middle with the sponge filters on either side. If you keep an indoor tank and have your thermostat at home set for roughly 68 degrees, most fish would be fine.

B

Hello Mon...

Heating depends on the type of fish you keep and how well the heat is distributed in the tank. A couple of dual sponge filters will easily distribute the heat from one heater. If the heater is a good, dependable brand like Aqueon, your tank just needs one that's 300 watts. Position it in the middle with the sponge filters on either side. If you keep an indoor tank and have your thermostat at home set for roughly 68 degrees, most fish would be fine.

B

Okay that sounds better. I’m going to use one for now but have a spare just in case it’s not enough. Is aqueon a good one to go with? I’m using topfin right now and heard that their crap. I want to replace it.

Tank Heaters

Okay that sounds better. I’m going to use one for now but have a spare just in case it’s not enough. Is aqueon a good one to go with? I’m using topfin right now and heard that their crap. I want to replace it.

Hello...

I like Aqueon. The brand isn't too pricey and the heavy coating makes it unbreakable. The sponge filters are inexpensive, but work as well as anything else. Add to the filters, a good air pump with two outlets and you're good.

B

Back
Top Bottom