Two simple questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisH

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm very new to this and have not as yet setup my first tank. I have two simple questions:

1. What is the best size of tank for a beginer?

2. Can you get silent running pumps? I have an open plan house and don't want to listen to the constant hum of a pump.

3. Is there a manufacturer of tanks that is recognised to be better than others and what makes a good tank?

I know there are three questions now, please pick two you think are simple :grin:

1. The best size is different for everyone. It depends on where you will put it. what type of fish you want. funds available to use.
i can tell you that the larger the water volume the slower water parameters change and that's better for beginners.

2. you can use a hang on back power filter and have the constant trickling sound of a babbling brook or you can use a canister filter which are almost silent. i am using a marineland c-220 and an eheim 2234 canister filter and they are almost silent. i hear the computer on the other side of the room over them. i don't even notice they are on except for the plants swaying in the current it makes.

ill just go ahead and answer all three because im cool like that

1. tank size, for a beginner you should get as large as your funds and space allow, if you can afford a 300G tank off the bat, you better bet im coming over and staring at it all day. if you can only do a 29G, then do it.

2. yes, plenty, ask around on here or read reviews on products.

3. again, preference. a guy on here named ryshark got a Clear-For-Life 180G tank, and i dont know if he loves it but i know i do, and when i get mine ill be getting the same one (despite them being a tad expensive). some people build their own tanks too. but im pretty sure aqueon is a good one as well

1. 20g-125g. Water volume is good, but you don't want the tank maintenance to be a burden. A python makes upkeep on the tank a lot easier.

2. You can definitely get a silent pump. Canister filters are usually the quietest. If you're going sump, I've heard good things about Mag-Drive. There's only one moving part.

3. It all depends on what you want and what you can spend. There are custom tank builders out there that make gorgeous tanks. Starphire glass, custom overflows, the works, but they're priced accordingly. I acquired my tanks as follows:

5g hex - bought it for my wife when we were dating. Now it's a shrimp tank
20H - My brother got it for nothing and passed it on to me for the same price. It'll be my wife's tank when I get my 40g up and running.
20L - Given to me by my mom for use as a hospital tank. Now it's a guppy community
29g - Given to me by a friend's dad who had it lying around in the basement
40B - Bought new at the Petco $1 per gallon sale
300g - Free if I moved it. It's cracked, so I have to get it fixed and it's made out of 1" glass, so it weighs nearly a ton empty.

I'm cheap if you didn't figure that out, but I'd rather keep my hobbies cheaper so I don't get in trouble with the wife.

I'm very new to this and have not as yet setup my first tank. I have two simple questions:

1. What is the best size of tank for a beginer?

2. Can you get silent running pumps? I have an open plan house and don't want to listen to the constant hum of a pump.

3. Is there a manufacturer of tanks that is recognised to be better than others and what makes a good tank?

I know there are three questions now, please pick two you think are simple :grin:

As long as you don't get one of those tiny tanks from Pets at Home then it's all fine!
I would say the absolute bare minimum you want to be looking at is 50 litres, preferably more like the 64 litres I have (Fishbox 60, again from Pets at Home) I consider that my starter tank as the first 25 litre one I had was somewhat of a failure!

The kits you get may seem expensive, e.g. £100 for the 64 litre. But when you add up that you get the tank, heater, fliter, lighting, hood all in with that, it's not too bad!

Me too. Which is partly why I've just bought an external canister filter, however - they are an expensive option! I know people here will recommend hang on back filters, but as you may have found they are practically unknown in the UK, it's all about the internal filters, which can be a bit noisy!

If you want to know for a known good quality make then I'd reckon you can't go far wrong with Fluval. Their Roma tanks especially look very nice, I'd give any of them house room. The 90 litre would be an excellent starting tank.

I know there are three questions now, please pick two you think are simple :grin:[/QUOTE]

For canisters, if you do go that route go with Rena Filstar XP. While mine tended to be louder than others I have spoken to who had them, I am pretty sure they are the most quiet. I say mine was loud only because it was right next to my bed, and I get really antsy and picky about any noise when I sleep. Overall, though, you can barely ever hear it. For HOB, the Aquaclears are near dead silent at times. Read around the product reviews...even if you google "Quiet aquarium filters" I am sure you can get some decent results.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom