Typical noob stuck with fishIN cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghostriderphoto

Aquarium Advice Activist
K... I purchased a 10 gallon tank at Walmart with gravel, tetra filter and fake plants. I brought it home and set it up that night. I let it run for 2 days to settle and followed through with the Walmart recommendation of adding fish at least 24 hours after the tank settled. I now have 2 young pink kissing gouramis. I have had them about two weeks... I did temporarily have them in a marineland 37g column tank until it cracked and I had to put them back in the cycling 10g.

I am on EXCELLENT well water. Currently my parameters are...
Ammo: .25-.50 color looks in between
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm
Ph: 7.6
API Master test kit

I did two days using "nutrafin cycle" before getting the 37g thinking I would move them into the 37g and push the 10g through its cycle before moving them back to the 10g to push the 37g through its cycle. So I stopped the nutrafin cycle and did not add anymore even after moving the fish back to the ten gallon when the 37g broke. I now have a dry 50g that I need to set up and cycle for the gouramis.

I did get some gravel from the lfs two days ago and it ended up on top of the gravel in the ten gallon when my neighbor released the fish in the ten gallon during the emergency transfer. I don't know what is going on. I have not seen any nitrites throughout this whole process. I am thinking there are low trace amounts of nitrite because when I dip the 5 n1 strip in there is the SLIGHTEST shade of pink, but almost unnoticeable.

After having the 37g break 36 hours after setting it up... I'm a bit uneasy about putting fifty gallons of water in the new tank! Any help would be great....

If your comfortable setting up the 50g, do it, if not, don't. Cycling can take a while, but if you're not going to move the tanks, its best to do 2 water changes a week on your 10g. Ammonia dosn't start getting toxic with a PH of 7.6 til its about 1 PPM, so just do everything to make sure it dosnt get to that level.

I did a fish in cycle with my 29 Gal, but I had tons of plants to eat up Ammonia. If you are willing/able, try and get some low maintenance plants like Java ferns or Anubias, to eat up Ammonia. You might not ever see Nitrites, I never did.

why did the 37g break? was it new? is your 50g new?
I would think you should be fine, but since you are in FL (where it is warm) you could always put your 50g outside, fill it with water and just let it sit for a few days and do a leak test on it. if it is new and you inspected it welll I would think you would be fine to just fill and start the process. be carefull putting your gravel and stuff in there (pour gently) and of course NEVER move a full aquarium!

At this point I am hoping to finish cycling the ten gallon with the fish in. I don't want to be rushed with the fifty gallon and would prefer to cycle that one at a higher ammonia ppm with the fish less method.

I think the 37g cracked across the back from top left to bottom right because the stand it came with was not level. The laminate wood floor is as clean as it has ever been, but not sure what the extent of damage was. The water was spilling out directly on the power outlet... I was home when it happened and ran out to turn off the main breaker to avoid any electrical issues.

As far as the water tests go... My ten gallon has tested this way for the last few days. I think one of my gouramis stressed some over the broken tank and relocation back to the ten gallon. Since putting him back in the ten gallon he looks like he is sucking water... Either stress or could he be doing this to show dominance over the other gourami?
I was thinking about putting the fifty gallon in the garage. I spend a lot of time out there, but not sure they will like the sounds of the tools. Anyone have experience with fish and power tools?

Sorry... These are all new tanks. I returned the 37g to petsmart and got the fifty gallon and a stand.

Fish-in cycling involves a much lower concentration of ammonia so the process is a bit more gradual than it is with fishless cycling. Because of that, the nitrite > nitrate bacteria have more time to build up and start processing. That combined with plants utilizing the nitrogenous waste makes it to where you may never see an ammonia or nitrite spike at all.

That makes sense... I am not using live plants... Though I would like to. I don't exactly have a green thumb. I should probably get some plants mostly because I know the gouramis would like them. Wouldn't they also help with cycling my tanks? What would be recommended for beginner friendly plants?

One more question... Do you think backgrounds help the fish feel more comfortable or are they a waste?

Got some ammonia from Ace and I'm headed home to continue this as a fish LESS cycle. My gouramis weren't getting along so I took them back to the lfs and also picked up a bubble bar for the ten gallon. Hope this works out this time...

Sorry about the fish... I am trying my hand at java moss... All new to me so I will let you know if it works

I just dosed the tank to 4ppm and added the active sponge filter. Fingers crossed things go well...

Just tested and no change...
Ammo: 4ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 5ppm

I had some nitrates from before...

Good luck with the sponge filter addition. I tested the sponge filter briefly with pure ammonia dosing and had mixed results. It might take some time for it to get settled in and working since it was in transit for days and just got walloped with a large concentration of ammonia.

Either it helps or it doesn't... I was wanting a sponge filter anyway and figured what the heck. It also gives me an ideal piece of seeding material for my bigger tank when it is up and running. We will see how it goes.

Ghostriderphoto said:
K... I purchased a 10 gallon tank at Walmart with gravel, tetra filter and fake plants. I brought it home and set it up that night. I let it run for 2 days to settle and followed through with the Walmart recommendation of adding fish at least 24 hours after the tank settled. I now have 2 young pink kissing gouramis. I have had them about two weeks... I did temporarily have them in a marineland 37g column tank until it cracked and I had to put them back in the cycling 10g.

When you get your 50 gallon will the kissing gouramis be the only fish in there?

I took my two gouramis back to the fish store already so I am currently with out any fish. I have my 50 gallon, but have not set it up because I don't trust the stand that I bought for it to go on. After putting the stand together I noticed some gaps where the cams are... Just doesn't seem right. Alot of the weight will be directly on the cams and I am afraid it will settle and become unevel and cause problems with the tank. Not sure what to do with the stand at this point...

Attached pic of my API test from just now. Progress?

Attachments

• image-2251468299.jpg
    image-2251468299.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 65
Took another test sample for ammo and nitrites a few minutes ago. Just curious and surprised how quick these BB really are! My nitrites test is a tad bit darker now than it was a few hours ago! Amazing...

Attachments

• image-3304166907.jpg
    image-3304166907.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom