UGF and New Tank - Feedback?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akkitten

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just started a fishless cycle with 20g tank. Not much in it so far UGF, and a HOB 150 Bio Wheel. My ammonia is a 2.0 and temp is at 80. But now I am doing some research (better late than never??) and I am seeing that an UGF is unnecessary and could even even be harmful in the long run. It is a single unit UGF with approximately 1/4 inch ridges so there is less room to trap debris. When up and running I will vaccum when I do PWC. So, leave it or take it out now? Feedback?

If I leave it there won't it accumulate more gunk under it someday when I add fish? Is there something I can add to the top of the airlift tube to increase the flow? Sorry for all the questions...I am really new to all of this but I got hooked hard and fast, so to speak.

there won't be any water movement down there so it should be okay. If you're really worried about it just pull it up. you can also try a reverse UGF.

I was just reading about a RUGF and pondering that topic. I was going to make this a partially planted tank so wondered how that would affect the plants.

UGFs and plants don't get along. If you're not going to use the UGF, I would remove it. Leaving it there will be one more potential source of problems.

Back
Top Bottom