Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrs.h2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,977
Ugrade tank will soon be on its way :)

I will be getting my upgrade tank here in a little bit, my husband left not to long ago to get it! Then the true test to see if it holds water :/ I will update later once I get it and am able to measure it to figure out how big it really is and if it holds water, so excited
__________________

__________________
Mrs.h2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrs.h2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,977
I have the tank!!! just did measurements (hopefully I did them correctly lol) and the length was 48'' width was just shy of 13'' and heighth was 21'' By the calculator I used it said its roughly a 60 gallon, the calculator said 59.43 gallons, I used the calculator from aquatic community, Is that what you guys would estimate this tank being?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-48787844.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	121063  
__________________

__________________
Mrs.h2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Jess1ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.h2012
I have the tank!!! just did measurements (hopefully I did them correctly lol) and it was 48/13/21, and by the calculator I used it said its roughly a 60 gallon, the calculator said 59.43 gallons, I used the calculator from aquatic community, Is that what you guys would estimate this tank being?
55 I believe... Could be wrong! Pretty sure that's the dimensions of my 55
__________________
Knowledge is power
Jess1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrs.h2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,977
I also very well could've measured incorrectly too lol. I'll have my husband do it and see what he comes up with once he gets back home again.
__________________
Mrs.h2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrs.h2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsPistol

55 I believe... Could be wrong! Pretty sure that's the dimensions of my 55
Just used another calculator, this one was from firsttankguide.net, and it said 56.7 gallons, which is closer to what you said your 55 is, so I'll go with that when it comes to figuring out stocking just looking the tank over I don't see any cracks or anything on it, so I'm hoping it holds water! I'll be doing that test hopefully here pretty soon!
__________________
Mrs.h2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Jess1ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.h2012

Just used another calculator, this one was from firsttankguide.net, and it said 56.7 gallons, which is closer to what you said your 55 is, so I'll go with that when it comes to figuring out stocking just looking the tank over I don't see any cracks or anything on it, so I'm hoping it holds water! I'll be doing that test hopefully here pretty soon!
Cool! Keep us posted! I got 2 150g builds happening (one fw & one sw) and I'm about to give mine the ol water test soon too, I'll keep my fingers crossed! What did u pay for it?
__________________
Knowledge is power
Jess1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrs.h2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsPistol

Cool! Keep us posted! I got 2 150g builds happening (one fw & one sw) and I'm about to give mine the ol water test soon too, I'll keep my fingers crossed! What did u pay for it?
Got this bad boy for free it was left in a house that my husbands papa rented out that his cousin is fixing up and she found it, so I asked her for dibs since she didn't want it and it was just sitting in a building out behind the house.
__________________
Mrs.h2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Jess1ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.h2012

Got this bad boy for free it was left in a house that my husbands papa rented out that his cousin is fixing up and she found it, so I asked her for dibs since she didn't want it and it was just sitting in a building out behind the house.
Woot woot! What a deal!!!
__________________
Knowledge is power
Jess1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrs.h2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsPistol

Woot woot! What a deal!!!
Yeah I was very excited when she told me I could have it! Just hoping it holds water, I'm pretty sure I will be on cloud nine if it does... I've always wanted a tank this big, I can hardly contain my excitement lol!
__________________
Mrs.h2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
Congrats! I was thinking it was a 55 if it's the same one you posted pics of a few days ago. I love resurrecting old tanks, it's something I've done a lot and plan to do many times over.
__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrs.h2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
Congrats! I was thinking it was a 55 if it's the same one you posted pics of a few days ago. I love resurrecting old tanks, it's something I've done a lot and plan to do many times over.
It's been more than a few days ago actually more like a few weeks probably lol. But yes it is the same one! Just filled it up... And.... It holds water!!! :happy dance:
__________________
Mrs.h2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
Awesome, that makes life a whole lot easier! What kind of tank stock are you planning again?
__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrs.h2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
Awesome, that makes life a whole lot easier! What kind of tank stock are you planning again?
Whatever fish will co-exist peacefully with angel fish. Ive always wanted angels just have never had a tank big enough for them until now. Angels are a must for me. I have two platies now, one just had fry and some have survived so platies for sure since I have them already. I think I will get some mollies more than likely (probably lyretails), and probably some Cory's. LFS had some long finned rams when I was in last that I fell in love with, but a member here had said they have a high disease rate or something, so I'm not sure if I will go with them or not. Thats all I have so far but I'm open to suggestions also I think I'm going to do sand instead of gravel for this tank. What would be a good place to get sand from (somewhere budget friendly would be awesome!)
__________________
Mrs.h2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.h2012 View Post
Whatever fish will co-exist peacefully with angel fish. Ive always wanted angels just have never had a tank big enough for them until now. Angels are a must for me. I have two platies now, one just had fry and some have survived so platies for sure since I have them already. I think I will get some mollies more than likely (probably lyretails), and probably some Cory's. LFS had some long finned rams when I was in last that I fell in love with, but a member here had said they have a high disease rate or something, so I'm not sure if I will go with them or not. Thats all I have so far but I'm open to suggestions also I think I'm going to do sand instead of gravel for this tank. What would be a good place to get sand from (somewhere budget friendly would be awesome!)
If you are looking into natural colors, I highly suggest going with PFS, it is way easier to deal with than playsand. The grain size makes it much easier to clean initially and it does not cloud at all. I've found it at local pool supply stores as well as doitbest hardware store. It varies in price from about $7-10 per 50lb bag. In that size tank I'd probably do 2 bags if you intend to plant the tank, otherwise a thin layer via 1 bag would suffice.
__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Lindsay1718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lake Stevens, WA
Posts: 256
If you like the German rams, you would prob like the Bolivian rams. They are much more hearty than the gbr's and get along great with angels. The Bolivians aren't quite as colorful as the gbr's but they are very interesting fish.
__________________
Lindsay1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrs.h2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,977
Thanks Lindsay, I'll look into them! I can't wait to get this bad boy up and running!
__________________
Mrs.h2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Lindsay1718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lake Stevens, WA
Posts: 256
I bet, I remember when I got my 120 for free! Well once you buy everything else it's not free but it's off to a good start. Good luck and keep us posted.
__________________
Lindsay1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrs.h2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1718
I bet, I remember when I got my 120 for free! Well once you buy everything else it's not free but it's off to a good start. Good luck and keep us posted.
It beats paying for the tank in addition to everything else atleast!
__________________
Mrs.h2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Lindsay1718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lake Stevens, WA
Posts: 256
That is my thought exactly! You can always say, "I can get that I didn't have to pay for the tank."
__________________
Lindsay1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrs.h2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1718
That is my thought exactly! You can always say, "I can get that I didn't have to pay for the tank."
Yup, since I'm not having to pay for the tank I'm gonna spend a little extra money on a filter thats for a higher gallon tank, you can never have to much filtration IMO
__________________

__________________
Mrs.h2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.