Ugrade tank will soon be on its way :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will be getting my upgrade tank here in a little bit, my husband left not to long ago to get it! Then the true test to see if it holds water :/ I will update later once I get it and am able to measure it to figure out how big it really is and if it holds water, so excited :)

I have the tank!!! :) just did measurements (hopefully I did them correctly lol) and the length was 48'' width was just shy of 13'' and heighth was 21'' By the calculator I used it said its roughly a 60 gallon, the calculator said 59.43 gallons, I used the calculator from aquatic community, Is that what you guys would estimate this tank being?

Attachments

• image-48787844.jpg
    image-48787844.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 78
Mrs.h2012 said:
I have the tank!!! :) just did measurements (hopefully I did them correctly lol) and it was 48/13/21, and by the calculator I used it said its roughly a 60 gallon, the calculator said 59.43 gallons, I used the calculator from aquatic community, Is that what you guys would estimate this tank being?

55 I believe... Could be wrong! Pretty sure that's the dimensions of my 55 :)

I also very well could've measured incorrectly too lol. I'll have my husband do it and see what he comes up with once he gets back home again.

AndrewsPistol said:
55 I believe... Could be wrong! Pretty sure that's the dimensions of my 55 :)

Just used another calculator, this one was from firsttankguide.net, and it said 56.7 gallons, which is closer to what you said your 55 is, so I'll go with that when it comes to figuring out stocking :) just looking the tank over I don't see any cracks or anything on it, so I'm hoping it holds water! I'll be doing that test hopefully here pretty soon!

Mrs.h2012 said:
Just used another calculator, this one was from firsttankguide.net, and it said 56.7 gallons, which is closer to what you said your 55 is, so I'll go with that when it comes to figuring out stocking :) just looking the tank over I don't see any cracks or anything on it, so I'm hoping it holds water! I'll be doing that test hopefully here pretty soon!

Cool! Keep us posted! I got 2 150g builds happening (one fw & one sw) and I'm about to give mine the ol water test soon too, I'll keep my fingers crossed! What did u pay for it?

AndrewsPistol said:
Cool! Keep us posted! I got 2 150g builds happening (one fw & one sw) and I'm about to give mine the ol water test soon too, I'll keep my fingers crossed! What did u pay for it?

Got this bad boy for free :D it was left in a house that my husbands papa rented out that his cousin is fixing up and she found it, so I asked her for dibs since she didn't want it and it was just sitting in a building out behind the house.

Mrs.h2012 said:
Got this bad boy for free :D it was left in a house that my husbands papa rented out that his cousin is fixing up and she found it, so I asked her for dibs since she didn't want it and it was just sitting in a building out behind the house.

Woot woot! What a deal!!!

AndrewsPistol said:
Woot woot! What a deal!!!

Yeah I was very excited when she told me I could have it! Just hoping it holds water, I'm pretty sure I will be on cloud nine if it does... I've always wanted a tank this big, I can hardly contain my excitement lol!

jetajockey said:
Congrats! I was thinking it was a 55 if it's the same one you posted pics of a few days ago. I love resurrecting old tanks, it's something I've done a lot and plan to do many times over.

It's been more than a few days ago actually more like a few weeks probably lol. But yes it is the same one! Just filled it up... And.... It holds water!!! :happy dance:

jetajockey said:
Awesome, that makes life a whole lot easier! What kind of tank stock are you planning again?

Whatever fish will co-exist peacefully with angel fish. Ive always wanted angels just have never had a tank big enough for them until now. Angels are a must for me. I have two platies now, one just had fry and some have survived so platies for sure since I have them already. I think I will get some mollies more than likely (probably lyretails), and probably some Cory's. LFS had some long finned rams when I was in last that I fell in love with, but a member here had said they have a high disease rate or something, so I'm not sure if I will go with them or not. Thats all I have so far but I'm open to suggestions :) also I think I'm going to do sand instead of gravel for this tank. What would be a good place to get sand from (somewhere budget friendly would be awesome!)

Whatever fish will co-exist peacefully with angel fish. Ive always wanted angels just have never had a tank big enough for them until now. Angels are a must for me. I have two platies now, one just had fry and some have survived so platies for sure since I have them already. I think I will get some mollies more than likely (probably lyretails), and probably some Cory's. LFS had some long finned rams when I was in last that I fell in love with, but a member here had said they have a high disease rate or something, so I'm not sure if I will go with them or not. Thats all I have so far but I'm open to suggestions :) also I think I'm going to do sand instead of gravel for this tank. What would be a good place to get sand from (somewhere budget friendly would be awesome!)

If you are looking into natural colors, I highly suggest going with PFS, it is way easier to deal with than playsand. The grain size makes it much easier to clean initially and it does not cloud at all. I've found it at local pool supply stores as well as doitbest hardware store. It varies in price from about $7-10 per 50lb bag. In that size tank I'd probably do 2 bags if you intend to plant the tank, otherwise a thin layer via 1 bag would suffice.

If you like the German rams, you would prob like the Bolivian rams. They are much more hearty than the gbr's and get along great with angels. The Bolivians aren't quite as colorful as the gbr's but they are very interesting fish.

Thanks Lindsay, I'll look into them! I can't wait to get this bad boy up and running!

I bet, I remember when I got my 120 for free! Well once you buy everything else it's not free but it's off to a good start. Good luck and keep us posted.

Lindsay1718 said:
I bet, I remember when I got my 120 for free! Well once you buy everything else it's not free but it's off to a good start. Good luck and keep us posted.

It beats paying for the tank in addition to everything else atleast!

Lindsay1718 said:
That is my thought exactly! You can always say, "I can get that I didn't have to pay for the tank.":)

Yup, since I'm not having to pay for the tank I'm gonna spend a little extra money on a filter thats for a higher gallon tank, you can never have to much filtration IMO :)

Back
Top Bottom