Uh oh another cycling thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pauline

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

So I'm just a little worried about my 20gal tank. I started a fishless cycle about ten days ago and a lot has happened but I've seen no rise in nitrites whatsoever. On my first day, I set up my HOB filter, filled the tank, substrate, etc. and increased to ammonia to 4.0 ppm with janitorial strength ammonia. A few days in, I purchased seachem prime because I was worried about the tap water killing off the bacteria. So, I added enough for my tank size. Later that day, the ammonia read between .5 and 1.0 ppm ammonia. So, I brought the ammonia back up to 4.0 ppm.
The past few days, I've seen no change in ammonia or nitrite. Shouldn't I be seeing a change?
According to the seachem prime associates, you can add prime to the tank every 48 hours while cycling. I added more prime yesterday and have seen no change in my parameters.

Help? Am I just being impatient?

Thanks

After you add ammonia, do not add anymore. and it takes weeks if not a month to cycle a tank. So I would wait a lot longer

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm aware that the cycle itself will take some time but, I thought maybe I'd see progress by now. Have I added to much ammonia? Should I be doing a water change?

25 percent water changes everyweek, then when it cycled 50 percent until you take the tank down.

Back
Top Bottom