Unclear water and tons of algae, help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jhilkyanks

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank is 10 gallons with cat Cory's, and 5 tetras. I have a 10 gallon filter they said would be sufficient, I only feed them once a day. It's extremely cloudy I changed the filter last week and the algae is only on the one side of the tank not the other! Extremely bizarre what should I do? Plecos won't fit or help in my opinion and I'm lost!

First off what type light fixture do you have, what type bulbs, and how long do you run them daily. How long has the tank been set up and is it fully cycled?

It is cycled it's been about 3 weeks after the cycle process. They are fluorescent and the only bulbs I found to fit for the tank so I got them. Also I run them 12 hours sometimes 13 on the off day but in that range pretty consistently.

The reason for the algae is running your lights way too long. 8 hours is the most you should be running them to keep algae from taking over. Also do you know what kind of algae? There are many kinds and it helps to know what kind your having so that it can be properly addressed. Is posting a picture of it possible?

Also when you say you changed the filter, I'm assuming your have a HOB filter and removed the media cartridge and put in a new one? If so, is there any type of bio sponge or anything in the filter? Reason for the questions is if there is no bio-sponge or something to let beneficial bacteria grow on and not get cleaned to remove it, when your changing the media you getting rid of a good portion of your beneficial bacteria and your probably getting a bacterial bloom. Is it a kind of milky haze?

Here is a photo of the algae, I've been trying to keep the light off lately and haven't seen a crazy difference. Also, I have the 10i whisper filter for a 10 gallon tank which is what I do have. Let me know of there's anything else I can do.

image-2633764563.jpg

Is the cloudiness white? If so it's probably a bacterial bloom from changing the filters, which is usually a bad idea as you're getting rid of any good bacteria you were growing in the filters. How long has the tank been set up? Have you tested the water for ammonia, etc? Here are two links for you:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

The algae looks like diatoms which is normal in new tanks. It'll go away eventually on its own but it's one of those things that has to run its course. In the meantime you can wipe it off and suck it up with a vacuum during water changes, but it'll likely come back until it burns itself out.

In a 10g tank one thing that can help with diatoms is get 2 nerite snails. They love diatoms and can't breed in freshwater so you won't get a population explosion of them. I keep around 40 in my 220g. There are horned nerites, olive nerites, and the larger tiger nerites.

Back
Top Bottom