UnderGravel Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hammerjoe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Howdy Folks, I'm new here and have a question. After having our 55 GAl tank for over 5 Years, we let go down hill. It has set empty for over a year now. I am now setting it back up. We decided to go with a undergravel Filter, with a power head. I know the powerhead goes into one of the lift tubes, my filter came with 4. My powerhead has 300 GPH flow. This may sound STUPID, MY QUESTION is do I also need to install the remaining lift tubes for flow?? Thanks for any help, GREAT FORUM BTW!!!

If you use a UGF, it is best to run it in reverse using a power head. You would then set it up so the PH push the water down the tube & up the gravel. This helps in preventing clogging of the plates. A rUGF like that needs only one "lift" tube. <That is actually a "push" tube as set up!> This is assuming that your plates are interconnected. If you have 4 seperate plates, you would need to connect them somehow. either split the PH into 4 & use the 4 tubes, or cut slots where 2 plates meet so water can get from one plate to the other.

I run a 55 with an old UGF, penn-plax white corrugated kind, 2 plates, running a penguin 550 on each, normal flow, and it's fine that way. However I plan on pulling it and switching to a canister filter as soon as I can swing it, I have plants but want to jam it full of them, and UGFs are not the ideal filter system for a heavily planted tank.

This may sound stupid, but how do I "REVERSE the Powerhead Flow"??? I have 2 seperate plates, tht I can connect with a T thru the holes where the tubes go. HELP????

Back
Top Bottom