Unexpected 70g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I won a 70 gallon tank/stand/canopy in a raffle yesterday and I wasn't expecting that, to say the least.
Usually when I start up a tank I have a plan months in advance as far as stocking goes, but not this one!
So, I'm not really sure what to do with it. Suggestions are welcome, though I think I'd probably like to make it a biotope tank. I used to have one and it was loads of fun, if a ton of work to say the least. Check my profile for the fish I have, it might help.
Dims are 36x18x25

Ill gladly buy if off of you for how ever much you put in! Haha god I wish I could have a tank that big

+1 on cichlids! On a tank, that big, you can't just have your run of the mill community tank.

I guess I hadn't considered Africans since I felt the length of the tank was a little limiting? But I am liking the idea quite a lot! I think I'll either go with some sort of African tank or an Indian/Burmese biotope with a spiny eel, etc. I'm picking up the tank on Friday so I think once we get it in the room I'll have a better idea of what will look the best and be the most enjoyable to keep. It's most likely going to be in the room with my reef, and I'm not sure if having two primarily "rocky" tanks will look best or if I'd rather have something nice and planted.
Any specific fish ideas you guys could throw at me? I work at an LFS so I wouldn't have much trouble getting rarer fish.

And my tap runs at about 7.0-7 .5 with a pretty high dKH. I haven't tested it straight out of the tap in a while though, I just remember it was on the upper end of the spectrum.

How about native freshwater fish. If you like to fish you can catch your own stock. Keep small ones and watch them grow.

I've kept native tanks before (both fresh and saltwater!), and I'd love to do it again! But I'd want to do it in at least a six foot tank so I could keep a nice school of sunfish, or pinfish in sw. :(
I'm addicted to big tanks though, what can I say.

I've decided to do a Tanganyikan tank, and I'm already pumpedddd
We got the tank in the house this morning, so here's a few pictures of it:
tumblr_mnd8t5bltk1rxywtho2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnd8t5bltk1rxywtho1_1280.jpg
tumblr_mnd8t5bltk1rxywtho1_1280.jpg

And this is my tentative stock list. Please let me know if it's too much or if there are any other fish you would suggest.
2x calvus
3x leleupi
3x julidochromis
6-12x leptosoma
2x synodontis petricola

This week I'll be buying the essentials (filters, heaters, substrate, etc.), start my cycle, and get an aquascape plan down.

Well, I read your thread earlier about breeding them :). Still would like to know what that is... gecko? Lizard ? Mexican ferret?

Back
Top Bottom