Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2022, 02:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unidentified fry

Hi, Iím a total newbie, Iíve read everything I can and watched hours of YouTube videos and finished setting up and doing a fishless cycle in my tank - super excited, I went out last weekend and bought a bristlenose plec and 6 Sterba Cory for my 200l tank. When I got them home I realised I had a tiny hitch hiker in the bag with the plec. In all honesty I didnít expect him to survive til the next morning as I thought he might be eaten and as this is the very first fish Iíve bought I have no fry set up to deal with babies as yet. Iím a week on and the baby is still darting around the tank. Thereís plenty of plants and hidey spots for him, Iíve been testing the water daily, all still spot on with zero ammonia and nitrites and only trace nitrates. Im planning to change 25% this weekend to keep it clean and fresh. Can anyone offer advice please? Is there anything else I should be doing? Iíd love to know what kind of fish he is so I know how to take care of him but am out of my depth.

Old 12-08-2022, 02:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can you call the shop that sold them? Can you post a pic?

Probably it requires no special care. I find babies in my tanks, from fish I’m not trying to breed. I feed them crushed flakes & have a powder for fry. You could try removing it to another tank if you have a spare one. I once put a few babies rescued in the sump pump in a ten gallon until they grew larger
Old 12-08-2022, 02:54 PM   #3

Iím planning to nip back to the shop on Saturday to ask. Iíll try to post a photo
Old 12-08-2022, 02:59 PM   #4

Not the clearest shot, sorry!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74BB7EC0-9BEA-452F-9321-81BDA77FF6AE.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	324440  
Old 12-08-2022, 03:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Did you happen to catch what other fish (if any) were in the tanks you got your fish in? If there were guppies in the tank, it is probably a guppy fry.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:06 PM   #6

There were a couple of fish in the tank and Iíve been racking my brains trying to remember what they were but drawing a blank. Iím not much help, I know!
Old 12-08-2022, 03:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That could very well be a guppy!
Old 12-08-2022, 03:30 PM   #8

Thanks so much. I wondered if it was a guppy as I’ve been looking at photos online and it looks similar. I was planning to buy angel fish in the coming weeks so may need to have a rethink now! Haha
Old 12-08-2022, 03:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You’re very welcome. I keep guppies & angelfish in a 55 G. All boys guppies, but don’t think guppy breeding would increase the population because the tetras in there would probably eat the fry.

Tags
fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com