Unidentified fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annmarie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I’m a total newbie, I’ve read everything I can and watched hours of YouTube videos and finished setting up and doing a fishless cycle in my tank - super excited, I went out last weekend and bought a bristlenose plec and 6 Sterba Cory for my 200l tank. When I got them home I realised I had a tiny hitch hiker in the bag with the plec. In all honesty I didn’t expect him to survive til the next morning as I thought he might be eaten and as this is the very first fish I’ve bought I have no fry set up to deal with babies as yet. I’m a week on and the baby is still darting around the tank. There’s plenty of plants and hidey spots for him, I’ve been testing the water daily, all still spot on with zero ammonia and nitrites and only trace nitrates. Im planning to change 25% this weekend to keep it clean and fresh. Can anyone offer advice please? Is there anything else I should be doing? I’d love to know what kind of fish he is so I know how to take care of him but am out of my depth.

Can you call the shop that sold them? Can you post a pic?

Probably it requires no special care. I find babies in my tanks, from fish I’m not trying to breed. I feed them crushed flakes & have a powder for fry. You could try removing it to another tank if you have a spare one. I once put a few babies rescued in the sump pump in a ten gallon until they grew larger

I’m planning to nip back to the shop on Saturday to ask. I’ll try to post a photo

Not the clearest shot, sorry!

Attachments

• 74BB7EC0-9BEA-452F-9321-81BDA77FF6AE.jpg
    74BB7EC0-9BEA-452F-9321-81BDA77FF6AE.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 16
Did you happen to catch what other fish (if any) were in the tanks you got your fish in? If there were guppies in the tank, it is probably a guppy fry.

There were a couple of fish in the tank and I’ve been racking my brains trying to remember what they were but drawing a blank. I’m not much help, I know!

Thanks so much. I wondered if it was a guppy as I’ve been looking at photos online and it looks similar. I was planning to buy angel fish in the coming weeks so may need to have a rethink now! Haha

You’re very welcome. I keep guppies & angelfish in a 55 G. All boys guppies, but don’t think guppy breeding would increase the population because the tetras in there would probably eat the fry.

Back
Top Bottom