Unique community fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gallon community tank and just lost a school of fish. I need something to replace them but I want them to stand out. Any suggestions?

Why did you lose the school of fish?

Rams of either type are a little more advanced fish and harder to care for. It might be a good idea to go a different direction on them. Not to mention that they are suggested to have a 30g tank to keep them in.

Rams of either type are a little more advanced fish and harder to care for. It might be a good idea to go a different direction on them. Not to mention that they are suggested to have a 30g tank to keep them in.

Ok thanks. Ill get something else. Well I didn't technically "lose" them, I just had to rehouse them because of their aggression.

Ok thanks. Ill get different fish. Well I didn't technically "lose" them, I just had to rehouse them because of their aggression.

Lyretail killifish would be a good addition. Other things to look at would be Praecox rainbows, Cory Cats, or ghost glass cats.

No I have to disagree, a 20 gallon long is good

They are bottom feeders, and a 30 gallon and a 20 long have about the same length and width, so it is ok
But yes, especially the cockatoo is more care
The Bolivian is pretty easy actually, IME

If it isn't at least a 8 months old, I would recommend either a cockatoo or a Bolivian ram

Besides establishing a good biofilter, I still have yet to see the point in the "wait x amount of time before adding a GBR" recommendation people give. They do not feed off biofilm like otos, so other than making sure that your BB colonies are functioning well, I see no point in waiting. Usually I just add them as the last stocking installment of the tank (3-4 weeks after the completed cycle maybe) and they are fine.

A 20 long would be fine, as those tanks have the same amount of horizontal swimming room as a 29g.

No I have to disagree, a 20 gallon long is good

They are bottom feeders, and a 30 gallon and a 20 long have about the same length and width, so it is ok
But yes, especially the cockatoo is more care
The Bolivian is pretty easy actually, IME

While they do spend quite a bit of time in the lower strata of the tank, they really arent referred to as "bottom feeders."

I can attest to the hardiness of bolivian rams, healthy ones are nearly bulletproof.

Back
Top Bottom