Unplanned 100% WC underway.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm about to do another one here in a few minutes once I rinse out my test tubes from this test.

My fish are cracking me up haha. As I was sitting here in front of the tank doing the tests they swam up to the front of the tank and just stared at me and every now and then going to the top like they were looking for food lol. Yeah you girls aren't getting any food for atleast today!

My fish are cracking me up haha. As I was sitting here in front of the tank doing the tests they swam up to the front of the tank and just stared at me and every now and then going to the top like they were looking for food lol. Yeah you girls aren't getting any food for atleast today!

Yeah it probably would be a good idea not to feed them for another 2-3 days, actually.

African Cichlids are some of the biggest beggars. Even if they were just fed 5 minutes ago they will swim up and beg for more.

I just have two plates, a Micky mouse who is very very pregnant and a red wag. I want some of the fry to survive when she has them, I've created a fry hideout for them in my tank. Someone on here who said they kept livebearer tanks that they found that well fed fish in the tank tend to leave the fry alone, so I've been feeding a little more than normal to prepare for whenever she has her fry.

Yeah, I saw your fry hideout thread and posted in it a while ago. And I do agree that the parents aren't just completely set on eating their fry. Once I saw some lyretail molly fry swim around in the open for a while without being chased by the 8 or 9 full grown ones.

I'm hoping that will be the case with my platy, I want to keep some of the fry but I can't keep them all unless I get a bigger tank which probably won't happen any time soon :(

How would a gravel sitr-up and large water change hurt the cycle? The beneficial bacteria colonize on surfaces and only a very small portion of bacteria are in the water.

Gravel is a surface. And there's a large amount of bacterial activity in the substrate level, I know some people have preached against in various articles but it's not exactly accurate.

Mrs. H it looks like you got things back on track, nicely done!

bud29 said:
How would a gravel sitr-up and large water change hurt the cycle? The beneficial bacteria colonize on surfaces and only a very small portion of bacteria are in the water.

+1 very true

Sorry to hear about your fish food debacle.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You should be fine.

I think the ammonia test shows pretty close to 0.50ppm.

Your gravel and filter will have bacteria in/on it already, so I wouldn't stress about it!

Back
Top Bottom