Upgrading - filter guidance needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Killerjane

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Like most people in this hobby, I started out with a 57l freshwater tropical tanks and quickly decided I needed to upgrade ?

I recently purchased a 90l Fluval Roma second hand. It comes with a Fluval U3 filter which has two still wet sponges inside. They’re huge compared to my current Ciano CF80.

I do not have the space to fully set the new tank up I.e I’ll need to swap it straight out once it’s ready.

My question is, can I ‘float’ the new U3 sponges in my current established tank for them to develop bacteria? They’re too big for my current filter filter and my current filter sponge will be lost in the U3!

Note - I’m giving myself a couple of months to clean, fix up and scape the Roma so won’t be moving the fish over anytime soon.

TIA!

Just floating a sponge in the water probably will establish a little bacteria on the outer surface, but not a lot as there needs to be water continually flowing through the sponge to get bacteria establishing in the sponge voids.

If the sponge is from a cycled filter, and it hasnt been allowed to dry out, floating the sponge should help to keep what bacteria is already there survive.

That makes a lot of sense! If I was to rig then close to the filter intake, externally, would that give me a better chance?

I have an established filter medium to put into the new tank but it’s so tiny compared to the new tank/filter I’m just trying to give myself the best possible chance ?

If I was to rig then close to the filter intake, externally, would that give me a better chance?

Water will probably just flow around the sponge rather than through it, unless you somehow rubber banded the sponge over the intake. Will help a little i guess.

Can you not just run the large filter in the established tank? U3 can run setup horizontally if it doesnt fit vertically. Its only temporary, you arent trying to win aquascape of the year, so who cares if it doesnt look good for a short period of time.

Water will probably just flow around the sponge rather than through it, unless you somehow rubber banded the sponge over the intake. Will help a little i guess.

Can you not just run the large filter in the established tank? U3 can run setup horizontally if it doesnt fit vertically. Its only temporary, you arent trying to win aquascape of the year, so who cares if it doesnt look good for a short period of time.

I would absolutely do this but I’m worried it’ll be too much for the current tank (unless you can turn the flow down, need to read up on the U3!). It’s a pretty small one so worried about running both together. Deffffffinitely don’t mind it looking a bit silly but also wanting to take my time getting the new tank exactly how I want it.

Fairly certain you can adjust flow on the U series. Ive got a U4 still in the box, so ive never actually set one up. There is a blue flow control knob that allows you to control flow rate and direction.

Fairly certain you can adjust flow on the U series. Ive got a U4 still in the box, so ive never actually set one up. There is a blue flow control knob that allows you to control flow rate and direction.

Ace thanks for your help! I’ll have a play around with it ☺️

I'd say when you're ready for the switch, rinse out your old filters into the new tank, the water won't be clear at first, but the good bacteria should just transplant to the new filter from the water, just moving the colony in this manner. It should kick start it immediately. and will establish in your substrate and filter media as it passes through the new filter. nothing worse than starting a new cycle over again from scratch.

I'd say when you're ready for the switch, rinse out your old filters into the new tank, the water won't be clear at first, but the good bacteria should just transplant to the new filter from the water, just moving the colony in this manner. It should kick start it immediately. and will establish in your substrate and filter media as it passes through the new filter. nothing worse than starting a new cycle over again from scratch.

Oh yeah totally agree! I did read yesterday that the filter media only establishes enough bacteria to support the bio load, so hopefully even moving the smaller media filter into the new, bigger filter, should still be okay. Currently only have 5 Raspboras and hoping to heavily plant the tank ☺️

Back
Top Bottom