Upgrading from 30 gallon to 125 gallon with 50 gallon sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michael61182

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm a noobie here. I joined as i'm sure many other did, for some advice. I recently set up a 125 gallon tank with a 50 gallon sump. I had read a little before about fishless cycling, but it seemed a little complicated. A friend told me that a friend of hers cycled her 55 gallon tank, by adding a few goldfish for a week, then added her fish. So, I decided to try that method. I had the tank set up and running with a few live plants for about 2 days. so, like I said, I tried that method. I went to the fish shop and spend 65 cents on 4 goldfish. The following morning, 1 was floating and 1 had sunk. After work 1 more was floating. Now I have only 1 goldfish left and decided to do some research. Thats when I ended up here. I did go ahead and transfer my external filter from my other tank to the new tank to try to add some bacteria from my set up tank. This is my first test. gh 180 kh 240 ph 7.0 no2 0 no3 20.
Now, I had not realized that cycling with fish was cruel. After all, when I went to pets mart after buying my 30 gallon tank. They let me go home with 1 pacu, 2 red tailed shark, 2 bala sharks and a silver dollar. I had asked about how to add my fish, they sent my with some water clarifier and said to make sure it was set up for about 1 hr first then add my fish. Anyway, enough said about that experience, that all happened to survive, and I have long left pets mart.

Hi! Welcome to AA!!! Ill post the guide to starting a fw tank- it has links to both fishless & fish-in cycling. Fishless cycling is pretty simple. You just need a bottle of good ammonia & a decent liquid test kit (and some patience). You do need to invest in a good liquid test kit asap. The API freshwater master test kit is the most recommended. You can find it on amazon for $10-15 less than most lfs. Strips are inaccurate at best and not worth the cost over the long haul. Please ask any questions you may have! :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

So would it be better if I go ahead and remove this last fish or try to go with? I have API 5 in 1 aquarium test strips already, will that not be good enough for my tests? Also, if I keep this fish, should I go ahead and do a water change?

michael61182 said:
So would it be better if I go ahead and remove this last fish or try to go with? I have API 5 in 1 aquarium test strips already, will that not be good enough for my tests? Also, if I keep this fish, should I go ahead and do a water change?

Remove it that way you can have a community
With goldfish the only thing you can have in the tank are goldies
Test strips are inaccurate
If you keep the fish do LOTS of 50% water changes- 1 or two daily

Unless you want to keep goldies, please rehome him to a happy pond! Its where he belongs. And, yes, get yourself a good liquid test kit. You need to be able to accurately test your levels of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph whether you are doing a fish-in cycle or a fishless cycle. Dont hesitate to ask questions! :)

I'll remove it. The only reason I bought the goldfish was for the purpose of cycling. I'm pretty sure he will be eaten with my other fish. I had 1 bala shark dissappear a few weeks back.
Considering the size of my tank 50% water changes is way too much. I will run to ace hardware and see if they carry the pure ammonia that i've been reading about.

I'll remove it. The only reason I bought the goldfish was for the purpose of cycling. I'm pretty sure he will be eaten with my other fish. I had 1 bala shark dissappear a few weeks back.
Considering the size of my tank 50% water changes is way too much. I will run to ace hardware and see if they carry the pure ammonia that i've been reading about.

Not sure where to find a pond out here in AZ.:ermm:

Try googling pond stores in your area and see if they may be able to help. Or you can try Craigslist.The Ace Hardware stuff is labeled with a red/black label- its says Ace Hardware 10% Janitorial Strength Ammonia. It should be in the cleaning aisle. :)

Ok, I got my ammonia and ordered my master test kit. Would I be able to get a start on adding ammonia now before I receive my kit? if so, how much ammonia should I add now?
Thanks

Having the tests will help you alot but you can go ahead & add a dose of ammonia & then just leave everything be until you get your tests (only add the ammonia one time until you can test). A ml syringe will help alot for accurate dosing. Most drugstores/pharmacies will give you one for free (5 or 10ml syringe). Use the calculator below- enter your tank size, % of ammonia & desired ppm (4) and it will give you the exact dose needed. The Ace stuff is 10% and your tanks capacity is 175g with the 50g sump. :)

Calculator

Thanks a lot, I actually work at a drug store. I will update the thread. Looks like my kits should be here wednesday.

Thanks, I gave my fish to my father in law. I have been to Ocean Floor and Aqua Touch. Theres a small store across the street from me, but she doesnt carry many supplies. I live across the street from ASU west.

michael61182 said:
Thanks, I gave my fish to my father in law. I have been to Ocean Floor and Aqua Touch. Theres a small store across the street from me, but she doesnt carry many supplies. I live across the street from ASU west.

Asu west on thunderbird ?

What is the name of the LFS store there? I live in el mirage that would be closer than aqua touch

Asu west on thunderbird ?

What is the name of the LFS store there? I live in el mirage that would be closer than aqua touch

yea, the store is at 43rd & thunderbird.

Amazon Aquarium and Pets - pets - fish - aquariums - supplies

Have you been to discount aquarium? Its a small store as well, its at cave creek and peoria. Very popular and busy store though. Seems like anyone out here with fish knows of this store though.

Discount Aquarium Fish and Reef. Arizonas Discount Marine Livestock SuperStore!

I usually get supplies, food and stuff from PetSmart or Petco. But fish I'll buy from Aquatouch. What they don't have they will order

I dont shop petco and I only step foot into petsmart for veggie rounds for my pacu. If I could find it elsewhere then I would buy from them. I had to go to aqua touch for a bulk head, because discount aquarium was closed.

michael61182 said:
I dont shop petco and I only step foot into petsmart for veggie rounds for my pacu. If I could find it elsewhere then I would buy from them. I had to go to aqua touch for a bulk head, because discount aquarium was closed.

Ah okay. Cool. What's the name of the LFS by you that your talking about ?

So, I got my test kit today. I just tested for ammonia and i'm at about 1ppm. I used the calculator on Friday to figure out how much ammonia to add to get 4ppm, but wasn't able to test it then. So how do I go about bringing it back up to 4ppm? Can I just add 3/4 of what I did from the beginning since, i'm going from 1 to 4?

Nitrite is about 3.0

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom