Upgrading tank -creative ideas??!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela1108

Aquarium Advice Addict
So our little guppy tank (eclipse system 12) started leaking a little bit. My husband and I agree we should get a new one anyways and upgrade to like a 20g. No biggie.

Here is where our dilemma and creative peoples' help will come in. The current tank doesn't have a HOB filter. It is attached to the hood of the tank. Usually I would do the run the old and new filter at the same time to bring over the good bacteria to the new tank but we obviously can't do this :/ also we were thinking of switching to sand or Eco complete instead of gravel for the plants. I know doing this is like a double whammy for keeping the bacteria. We will keep as much of the old water as we can which would probably be around half of the old water.

Good news: they are all guppies so at least they are relatively hardy for cycling. Now our creative people question- what have you guys done when going from NON HOB to another tank- any tricks or anything you guys did to make them sort of work?

I see lots of prime and water changes in our future ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can still remove the filter material from your old filter. If it is the type that has a pad and your new HOB holds media like an Aquaclear HOB for example, just cut up the old pad enough that it will fit in the new filter.

Good idea! Not sure why I didn't think of that.

For your new 20g, I highly recommend a fluval c3. Aqua clears would be my second choice.

Add some mulm from your old tank into the new one with eco complete. Seeding the new filter with media from your old integrated filter is good advice.

Guppies are actually pretty sensitive, IME. So monitor your parameters closely with a good liquid test kit during this process.

For planted tanks, a 20g long is a better footprint. Lighting becomes a little easier on shallower tanks. Taller tanks, while still doable, require a little more powerful lighting options.

I'd also plant as heavy as possible during the initial setup of the new tank. Plants obtained from an established tank are coated in BB (beneficial bacteria). They also help by absorbing nutrients and toxins. This will help your livestock's stress level.

If you get an AquaClear, go with the 50. The AQ 20 is better for a 10 gallon tank.

Don't transfer the water out of the old tank. Use fresh water and, as mentioned before, move the plants/decorations (anything with appreciable surface area) over to the new tank, especially the media from your old filter. All of this will help cycle your new tank much more quickly.

Ok thanks :) I am out looking at different options/pricing from my lfs

And I agree on going up with aqua clear. I have the 110 on my 50 and they say it is for 60g+

I tend to go a step or two higher anyways :)

All our plants are live. I will get some more tomorrow when we get the tank :)

In case you are looking at other size tanks, aside from a 20g Long, other excellent dimensions of planted tanks are 30 and 40g "breeder" tanks.

I think we wanted to stick to 20- we have a planted 55 so we don't have much wall space so we were hoping to find something that will fit in the same area without much "furniture Tetris" lol

So we got a 20 long and went with sand. Last night we rinsed the sand and put that in with some "on loan" plants from our other tank. We let it sit over night to let the sand finish settling/make it's own kinda natural pattern from the filter flow. This morning we tested everything. .25 ammonia (our tap comes out like that) and then added another dose of prime (also used prime last night) then moved the plants and fish over. Everyone looks to be doing ok ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409075971.668763.jpg

When I took that picture they were staying all together and exploring.

Now to watch and watch the parameters for changes and prime when needed. I am hoping there are enough plants from the old tank and the borrowed stuff from the other tank that it will jump start the cycle.

PS- catching all the tiny fry was a pain! Holy cow

Back
Top Bottom