Upgrading to a larger tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blue71

Aquarium Advice Activist
Currently I have my 2 jack Dempseys in a 29g, I am upgrading to a 55g, which is saltwater right now, and those fish are going in to my 70g. I need ideas for a filter, heater, and substrate. I am not using sand however because I cannot stand it. What should I use?

For gravel, I would use a smaller type. JD's love to dig and rearrange. AFA the filter, do you prefer canister's or HOB's? I had a fluval 404 on my 55 JD tank. I also recently purchased a 250 w marineland stealth heater and I really like it.

Out of curiosity, what size are your JD's and do they get along ok?

My Jd's are about 3-4 in long and they get along pretty good

For gravel, I would use a smaller type. JD's love to dig and rearrange. AFA the filter, do you prefer canister's or HOB's? I had a fluval 404 on my 55 JD tank. I also recently purchased a 250 w marineland stealth heater and I really like it.

Out of curiosity, what size are your JD's and do they get along ok?

Pretty much everything you said is awnsered here and what i agree with.

Keep an eye on them, unless you have a m-f pair, as they mature there is a good chance they will become enemies.

You didn't say what type of filter you are thinking about. Because JD's are messy eaters I would go with a filter that has a gph rating of at least triple the tank size, if not more. And that is regardless of which type you choose. I like the fluval and the rena canisters. I currently run the older model penguin HOB's and I like them, unfortunately you can't purchase those with that design any longer.

Back
Top Bottom