Used tank cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dswiese

Aquarium Advice Regular
hopefully an easy question to start my new project.

Whats the best way to clean a glass tank (inside and out) ?

+1
Plain white vinegar and some elbow grease does a great job of cleaning a used tank. If you have some tough deposits, some people will use a razor blade, too. Just make sure you rinse well. :)

Soaked mine in white vinager weeks cuz it was so nasty, then scrubbed really good. Now I have 5 Australian Rainbowfish in it and am getting more fish tonight.

Picked up the tank on the way home from work. $35 suppose to be a 55g

Glass doesn't seem too bad, but now I am concerned it might have been recently resealed and/or broke and fixed.

Sticker says "all glass aquariums, 1996"

1. The front and back glass is not quite flush with the end glass panels. though its uniformed top to bottom and the same on both ends.
Is this normal for older tanks ?

2. I can run my finger on the seals and get a Teflon feel on my fingertips, as well as that "smell"
Should I scrape them out and reseal ?

Can't add more photos via my ipad. May upload more tomm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 54
looks like the downtime ate a couple of post on there.

quickly catching up.

There is a top to the tank with an in tack crossbeam. i removed the frame to check the side glass alignment and seals to the top of the tank.

The frame is a snug fit and I also noticed on the bottom frame in the very small millimeter overlap of the front/back panels there is or was some cork type material to keep the bottom frame flush.

so while the front and back glass overlap by a few millimeters, it is uniform on both ends of the tank.
Its hard to get a pic of such a small overlap with my phone unfortunately.

My only last concern would be the seals themselves. if the tank has been in storage for awhile and build in 96, how long should i fill and test the tank for leaks ? 2,3 days ? a week?

Back
Top Bottom