Used tank question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missileman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but here goes.
I bought a used 46 gallon tank that is currently in use by the previous owner.
He offered me the fish he has in it now, a combination of Platty,Chiclid,Zebra Dino,Neon Tetra and Glass fish
My question/ concern is the tank cycling, the tank will have to be mostly emptied for transport. (2 hour drive)
How much impact will this have on the nitrogen cycle.
Will I have to start the cycle all over or will the organisms in the bottom of the tank and filter be enough to keep it going.
I can put some fish in my 10 gallon tank but only for a short time as I don't want to overcrowd it and mess up the enviroment.
If I have to start the cycle over I will have to say no thanks to most of the fish.
Any advice?

Thanks,
I just found a similar thread in a different forum and the answer was about the same.
Basically put the substrate and filter media in a large tub, probably not good to leave any weight in the tank?, with some of the tank water and hopefully it will be ok. I am starting to feel better about the move.
Any other thoughts?

Your biobug should last a couple hours if you keep it wet (in tank water) & not exposed to excessive heat or cold. Your tank might go through a mini-cycle due to the disturbance, so you might have to watch things for the first little while.

Always move the tank empty .... water sloshing around a half empty tank stresses the joints & may cause leaks down the road.

Update and question.
It is close to a week, all of the fish that came with the tank are still doing well, no loses, and they seem active and happy. I did transfer 6 mollies, 2 platty's, a male betta and a small otto from my daughters 10 gallon which was not cycled and had very high amonia and nitrite readings. One of the mollies died, I believe from amonia/nitrite poisoning. All of the rest of the fish are doing great. and I will restock her tank with some of the fish in mine when it is properly cycled.
My question now is are my readings ok, normal ect...?
3 days readings are:
PH 7.4 and steady
Amonia 0 all 3 days
Nitrite 0.25ppm day 1 and 0 after that
Nitrate 3ppm day1, 6ppm day 2, 9ppm day 3 (last night was day 3)
I plan on a PWC tomorrow.
I did change the substrate when I set the tank up, he had sand and I wanted gravel instead.
Should I be concerned about the steadily rising Nitrate level or is it too early to tell?

Nitrate is ok and expected as the final byproduct of the breakdown. Your PWCs will keep in in check. Its your nitrite that should always be 0.

Sounds like the tank is doing well - how about a picture? :hat:

A picture you want?
OK :D
I still have work to do so disregard the air tubes and heater.

Attachments

• 100_1705.jpg
    100_1705.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom