Used tank...would love some advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yazy1987

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone
My story...My bf just bought me a used 12 nano cube, everything seems to be intact and I've decided to go fresh water since he bought the tank for my betta.
Couple questions...
I just want make sure that the 106 GPH pump that is included is good enough?
Are bio balls necessary? (I've read so many mixed reviews that skimmers and bio balls are not needed because of the size.)

Since the tank is used, do I need anything else besides the carbon, sponge and pump?
I'm fairly new to this hobby and have done a bit of research but would great value any of your recommendations or opinions.
Thanks everyone
-Yasmine

I'd recommend you get rid of the carbon. Use carbon to clean the tank of medications, or contamination, but if everything is good, leave the carbon out.

Bioballs are not very effective. They are supposed to provide a surface area for bacteria to live on. Ceramic rings or similar media would work better.

Bettas are tropical fish and do better with a stable temperature. I'd recommend a heater if you don't already have one.

What are you housing the betta in now?

Are you familiar with the ammonia cycle?

Edit: doing a little research myself, the pump might produce too much flow for the betta.

Just to add: Fill the tank outside to check it is water tight and will not destroy a section of your house. :) Don't trust any tank until you test it, but doubly so with second hand.

Okay so I will take the carbon out and yes I just read the article on the *ammonia* cycle.
I already have a heater and the temperature of the water is 72 degrees.

We also filled up the tank twice just to make sure it was okay before I brought it in my house :D

What is the betta in currently?

The good bacteria (for ammonia cycle) will be in whatever you have in your current tank. Ideally you will want to add as much decorations, plants, etc from the old betta tank to the nano cube when you move the betta to it's new home.

He is just in a simple 1 gallon bowl, so should I start the ammonia cycle or just buy bacterial from petsmart?
Im sorry I'm very new at this and just want to make sure I do this right. I have had my betta for almost 3 years and I care about him very much.

Can someone with more experience with bettas chime in?

I don't want to give bad advice and I'm getting out of my comfort zone. Doing a fishless cycle for a 12g tank thats going to house a betta seems like more work then needed, but maybe not.

Most bacteria starters are hit or miss. They can often be useless because everything inside the container is dead. Look for a "best before date", if you can't find one the stuffs probably useless. Some brands are meant to be refridgerated, but are put on the shelf. These are also probably useless.

Best bet for bacteria starter, find someone who has a healthy aquarium thats been running for months, and borrow some gravel or a small piece of sponge.

Hmmm problem is, I don't know anyone my bf tank is salt water. I'm kind of stuck now.

Do you have access to freshwater ammonia and nitrite test kit?

Whats your current maintenance schedual for the betta? (how often and how much water change etc.)

If it was me, I think I'd set up the nano tank, with a live plant or two. I'd try and find a good bacteria additive and add it to the tank (remember to look for dates). The next day I'd acclimatize the betta to the new tank and move him over.

Then test daily for ammonia and nitrite. If either of those goes above 0.25ppm do a water change to get it back down. After a week, if ammonia and nitrites are zero, check for nitrates. A weekly water change of 1-3 gallons should be fine to keep nitrates in the safe levels.

If everythings staying in the good ranges after a week you can reduce the frequency of testing, like every 2-3 days. If you get zero ammonia and zero nitrites for a week and nitrates are going up, you should be done the cycle. At this point, test once a week, and do water changes to keep nitrates under 40ppm.

Thank you for the help! I will stay on top of my cycle and let everyone know who I'm doing in about a week or so!
BTW I like your quote's. Just did a research paper on Helen Keller.

Back
Top Bottom