Using a small filter pad for a larger tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrAlecks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This might get complicated, please stay with me. I have one of those Fluval Chi 6.6 gallon aquariums with 1 male betta. This tank has really only been set up for the last 3-4 months. Well, I just bought a 40 gallon breeder tank a few weeks ago that I'm in the process of getting set up. I plan to keep 1 black molly, 1 swordtail and maybe a couple or pearl gourami's. Maybe a crawfish for fun since it's PFS substrate, I figure that'd be fun to watch. No real plants in the tank. I got 2 of the Fluval U4 filters inside the tank, heater, thermometer, the works. I want to take the filter and foam pad out of the Fluval Chi and dump them into the 40 gallon to help cycle the tank. Question is, can I submerge a new filter and foam pad into the cycled Fluval tank NOW and leave it in there for a couple weeks, so I dont get any mini-cycles with the poor betta? My thought is, I have to go away for a couple weeks anyways, so if I just put in a new filter pad in the Fluval tank now, maybe by the time I get back from my trip, I can just put the submerged pad into the Fluval filter housing, remove the cycled pad to put in the 40 gallon to help cycle. ... I think I confused myself with all that, but if you get what I'm saying, I'd love some advice. If I didn't give enough information, just ask away. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom