Using filter on current tank in preparation for cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nomad1212

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I recently bought a 55 gallon tank and used fluval 305 filter. The filter has no media so I will be buying all new media for it.

Currently I have a 20 gallon tank with a couple of goldfish and in the next month hope to move everything into this new 55 gallon tank. I know before I place the fish in the new tank I need to cycle. I also know that adding in used media filters/plants/gravel can speed up the process.

So my main question is should I start using the Fluval 305 on my 20 gallon tank so the filters can start soaking up some beneficial bacteria? Then once my 55 gallon is set up with water I switch the fluval over to that along with some media like fake plants?

thanks for the help!

nom...

If possible, add some floating plants to the new tank. The plants will help settle the tank water. Move some of the filter media from the 20 to the new tank's filter. Move whatever decorations or bottom material as well. This will help cycle the new tank. You could move the fish as well. But, add any more fish very slowly and test the tank water in the new tank frequently. This will tell you if the bacteria is working. Since there's so much more water in the new tank, you shouldn't have any issues with the water chemistry.

B

nom...

If possible, add some floating plants to the new tank. The plants will help settle the tank water. Move some of the filter media from the 20 to the new tank's filter. Move whatever decorations or bottom material as well. This will help cycle the new tank. You could move the fish as well. But, add any more fish very slowly and test the tank water in the new tank frequently. This will tell you if the bacteria is working. Since there's so much more water in the new tank, you shouldn't have any issues with the water chemistry.

B

I won't be setting up the new tank for a few weeks so I was hoping to possibly get the process started faster by putting the new filter in my current tank.

From my understanding 'cycling' the tank is the process to get beneficial bacteria in your filters and throughout your tank so any ammonia that comes from the fish does not kill them.

So my thought was if I were to run my new filter in an already established tank to get all that beneficial bacteria in its media, would I then be able to move that filter over to the 55 once its set up so I can basically jump start the cycling process.

Or would that not work?

Start the new filter in your current tank, when you set the new one tank up, put new filter in it, run it for like an hour, put other filter in and put the fish in. Done. You still want to keep an eye on parameters in case of something going funky, but overall you should be fine.

Start the new filter in your current tank, when you set the new one tank up, put new filter in it, run it for like an hour, put other filter in and put the fish in. Done. You still want to keep an eye on parameters in case of something going funky, but overall you should be fine.

Thank you for the reply.

That is perfect and exactly the answer I was hoping to get!

thanks again :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom