using python

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olga

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I have a 75-gal tank and tired of changing water every week using buckets. I read about python and would like to buy it to make water changes easier, but I am afraid it will kill beneficial bacteria or harm fish since the water will be coming right from the faucet. I read that you can add dechlorinator into the tank, but to me it's too late then. I usually add dechlorinator into my bucket and wait 5 minutes for it to work. When you pour faucet water into the tank and then add dechlorinator, doesn't it expose your fish to the chlorine and kill beneficial bacteria? Thank you for an advice.

Hi. I’ve used mine for over a year now and have never had or seen any problems with it. Your beneficial bacteria isn’t in the water per say, it’s in your filter. By the time your filter sucks the new water up, it’s already dechlorinated. I use Prime to dechlorinate, and it’s instant. A python is definitely worth the investment. Just be sure to get a actual Python not a cheap ripe off, those are junk.

I've been adding water treatment to the water as it runs into my tank for over 20 years. Never had a dead fish or cycling issue doing it that way. For the last 2 years I have a dedicated fish room and fill my tanks straight from a garden hose and dump in dechlorinator while filling. I have 2 python hoses connected and drain my tanks outside into the flower beds, lol

Hi. I’ve used mine for over a year now and have never had or seen any problems with it. Your beneficial bacteria isn’t in the water per say, it’s in your filter. By the time your filter sucks the new water up, it’s already dechlorinated. I use Prime to dechlorinate, and it’s instant. A python is definitely worth the investment. Just be sure to get a actual Python not a cheap ripe off, those are junk.
And I 2nd this post about the others being junk. The valves leak, fittings are junk

I've been adding water treatment to the water as it runs into my tank for over 20 years. Never had a dead fish or cycling issue doing it that way. For the last 2 years I have a dedicated fish room and fill my tanks straight from a garden hose and dump in dechlorinator while filling. I have 2 python hoses connected and drain my tanks outside into the flower beds, lol
Yepper! (y)

Your thinking impresses me yet again, Charlie. A friend suggested that I treat water on the way in years ago. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of tossing such a harsh chemical (prime STINKS) onto my fish directly. Now that I know it works when used in controlled amounts Ill give it a try. BTW Charlie, you've likely noticed already, but you can't receive any more PM's until you clean your inbox.

Back
Top Bottom