Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Using Tetra aqua safe with safe start

Hey all, just wondering if anyone knows if I can use tetra safe start straight after a water change where I've used aqua safe or do I need to wait?

Old 03-01-2014, 01:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd wit an hour.

Why are you using Safe Start if the tank is established? If the tank is cycled, then you're wasting your money. If you want great water for water changes, get a 5gal bucket and sponge filter. Run the filter in a bucket full of water and change out the water into your tank weekly. Makes great aged water with zero work or expense.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm in the middle of a fish in cycle, not by choice. Just following the advice I was given at my local pet store. I've been doing two water changes a day to make sure the water is safe for the fish and wanted to try and speed things up with the safestart. But I've heard you should wait twenty four hours after a water change and then not change the water for another two weeks. That's not possible with a fish in cycle is it??????? I guess using it would be a waste of time cause there's no way I'm gonna stop my water changes. Anyone know why you're not supposed to do water change for two weeks???
Old 03-01-2014, 04:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know what they are talking about honestly.

For the record I'm not really recommending SafeStart, but if you do want to use it, it doesn't really matter when, except that I wouldn't do ANOTHER water change until at least 24 hours afterward to give the bacteria time to be moved through the system and "stick" to the filter media

None of the other recommendations make any scientific sense to me. Is Aqua Safe just a water conditioner? Even if it locks down ammonia, it's still a form that the bacteria can eat.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah aqua safe is just a water conditioner it remove chlorine and chloramines. Apparently you cannot use safestart within 24 hour of using a conditioner that removes chloramines???? I dunno, all very confusing. I'm thinking water changes and patience is the way forward but I'm literally obsessed with getting this tank cycled
Old 03-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't really see any scientific reason for that directive.

Tags
safe, star, start, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com