Using Your API Test Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SgtSparkles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I get a bit frustrated when people buy the api test kit and just wing it rather than reading the instructions. I also have a tank where the oscars were over running the filter before i pulled out the chemical filtration and put in 2 lbs more biological media. So I decided to use this tank before the filter overhaul to show how to use the API freshwater test kit and give some explanation on the nitrification process. Water tests all nice and clean now but that footage wont help you like footage of water testing "hot"

Hello Sgt...

I understand. But, that API test kit just takes too much time to use. If you have several tanks like I have, taking several minutes to test the nitrogen and other levels is too time consuming. I've found over several years, if I simply remove and replace most of the tank water every week, I can skip the testing. If I faithfully change most of the water every few days, I know the water chemistry is always steady. Besides, if I need a nitrogen reading or need to check the pH, alkalinity or hardness of my tank water, I can use a testing strip and get a fairly accurate reading in 60 seconds.

B

Hello Sgt...

I understand. But, that API test kit just takes too much time to use. If you have several tanks like I have, taking several minutes to test the nitrogen and other levels is too time consuming. I've found over several years, if I simply remove and replace most of the tank water every week, I can skip the testing. If I faithfully change most of the water every few days, I know the water chemistry is always steady. Besides, if I need a nitrogen reading or need to check the pH, alkalinity or hardness of my tank water, I can use a testing strip and get a fairly accurate reading in 60 seconds.

B

To each there own. But I tend to disagree. I have enough vials to test 3 tanks at once so I test all 3 and it let's me decide between 30% or 50% water changes. It's also a good indicator of when you may need to clean out a cannister filter. I find the test strips too ambiguous for my liking and the api test is still kinda loose. If there was a pen like there is for salinity that could read ammonia and nitrites etc I would scoop it up in a heart beat. But this works enough for now.

Back
Top Bottom