Vacant Hospital tank? Just curious?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My Fish Babies.

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,
Well I have been diligently working on a fish less cycle on a 55 gallon long for my three fancies. I am only in week two so I still have a ways to go. Their old home was or is a 29 gallon. I was going to give away my 29 gallon really due to space issue but? I am now considering keeping it. I recently had to treat a bad fin rot attack on one of my Black Moors he's a very fragile guy overall. I was successful but realize the amount of meds and pwcs in a 55 would be very expensive and hard to keep up on. If I keep my 29 gallon for a sick tank does it need to be kept empty? By empty I am asking if any other fish can be put in it to keep the tank levels running. It is a two year old tank. I was thinking a school of neon tetras just something to keep the bio load going. Am I wrong with this thinking process? Realistically any of my sick fancies would be the patients in the 29 gallon if needed. Just looking to keep it low up keep if thats possible? Opinions appreciated and desired. Thanks as always.

You don't have to keep it running at all, you can just put the filter that's on it into the 55 gallon to keep it live and then when you need the quarantine tank all you have to do is pop that filter on there.

+1
Running the filter on your 55g is the easiest way if you want to use the 29 in the future as a hospital/Qt tank. I would not keep fish in it if this is how you plan on using it because then the fish have no where to go if you need to treat with meds. I keep my 20g Qt running & cycled with doses of ammonia 2-3x a week and use it to grow plants when theres not a fish in it if this helps.

Thanks My friends that was a pretty clear explanation. But oh the temptation of a tank just sitting empty I hope I can resist. LOL We will see. I have a REALLY SMALL CONDO! So space is at a premium for us. The 55 was pushing it a bit but it makes me happy. Maybe I will keep my eyes open for a good deal on a 20 gallon not a huge difference. Just thing out loud again. LOL

Back
Top Bottom