VERY high nitrite level? (5ppm)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jed Fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 70 liter tank is in its 7th week of cycling with 6 neon tetras. Only today I noticed the nitrite was sky high, seems to be 5ppm or could be higher, my purple test water wouldnt properly match any of the chart samples. I done a 25% water change earlier today, but nitrite is still at 5ppm. Deep dark purple.

Whats the best plan of action? Should I do daily 25% water changes? I have currently only been doing once weekly changes. I am SO worried about my poor fish :(

My 70 liter tank is in its 7th week of cycling with 6 neon tetras. Only today I noticed the nitrite was sky high, seems to be 5ppm or could be higher, my purple test water wouldnt properly match any of the chart samples. I done a 25% water change earlier today, but nitrite is still at 5ppm. Deep dark purple.

Whats the best plan of action? Should I do daily 25% water changes? I have currently only been doing once weekly changes. I am SO worried about my poor fish :(

I'd up to daily 50% pwc's - even a couple in a day to drop it down. A pinch of common sea salt will protect the fish or something like prime to detoxify nitrite.

Salt - 1/15th tsp/10g for 1ppm nitrite

Back
Top Bottom