Very Simple Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ICDeadFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What fish should I begin my 29g tank with? And how many? I know I need something strong and probably inexpensive, right? So far, I've heard danios and guppies. Any other suggestions?

Also, I want to put live plants in my tank. What kind and when should I do this?

Thanks!

same here

I only just got into the hobby :? but, anyway, i've just set up my 24g tank and I put 10 neon tetras in it. I also used some "stress- zyme" to help the cycle. Tetras seem to be doing ok.

Plants: Im no sure, but I put plants in on the 7th day, they are supposed to help the water. Try Oriental sword, they are really nice.

plants will help with any excess nutrients and ammonia. It is very good to put in fast growing plants in a new tank. However, I'd recommend zebra danios. They are inexpensive, very hardy, and tons of fun to watch. Perhaps 5 would be good for your tank.

"stress- zyme" to help the cycle
I don't know why people say this--it is untrue.
I know I need something strong and probably inexpensive, right?
Why? Once you have a cycled tank, the sky's the limit (okay, I won't tell you to get some discuss). What kind of fish are you interested in? Colorful and slow? Colorful and zipping around in every direction?
Java fern and anubias are great beginner's plants--that's what I have and so far, they have not died :D AFAIK, add the plants at any time. Ask over in the Planted forum for more accurate advice :wink:

Well, I like the slow ones, but my husband likes the really fast ones. So, kinda both.
Our tank isn't cycled yet so do we need the "stress- zyme"?

No, but you do need a dechlorinator before you cycle the tank! Bacteria will not do well in chlorinated water. Check out people's galleries and see what fish strike your fancy. You will have plenty of time to research the fish while the tank cycles :D

I have no chlorine in my water. It's well water AND has been tested for it. Do I still need a water conditioner or dechlorinater?

[Edit]
Also, when should I add the aquarium salt? When I first set the tank up?

It's well water AND has been tested for it.
Okay (y)
Also, when should I add the aquarium salt? When I first set the tank up?
I have aquarium salt, sometimes I use it and sometimes I don't. Since tap water has so much stuff in it, I often do not use extra salt. The well water may need some extras, so go ahead and the salt now.

I cycled my 10 gallon with Danio's and they did great! They are very hardy and a blast to watch! I just put them in my newly cycled 55-gal tank and are doing well.

Have you considered cycling the fishless way?

Michelle

Yes, two problems. I'm pregnant and cannot handle pure ammonia. And I'm pregnant and the smell of raw shrimp makes me sick at the moment. LOL

I try to encourage people to pick fosh that suit their water, especially if it is very hard or very soft. There is nothing worse than fiddling with water chemistry. I like to use a few black mollies to cycle a tank, primarily because they are hardy and will eat any algae that pops up. Good luck with the new tank.

Congrats on the pregnancy, ICDeadFish!

I just cycled my tank without putting any ammonia in it. I just used lots of seeded material. But, I have a cycled 10-gal so whenever the ammonia dropped I would vaccuum some H2O and put it in my 55-gal.

Could your husband possibly add the ammonia for you?

Just a thought.

Michelle

Yeah I guess he could, but knowing him he would forget. And God Forbid I tell him anything. It goes in one ear and out the other. Did I mention I bought this for him for Christmas? He loves it, but it seems as though I am getting into the hobby alot more than expected.

Well for me tetra are the way to go they are small but come in groups of 5-10 also with that you could get some ghost shrimp they help clean out the leftover food the fish don't eat for plants I cant help

Back
Top Bottom