Wahh what the heck is going o...nitrites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lynne SLC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey fish gurus I need some help please!
So I have a 28 gallon freshwater tank that I have been cycling (fishless) for a few weeks and it was going great! Yesterday my ammonia =0ish, nitrites = 0 ish and nitrates = 20ppm. I was following a guide that said to do one last job...a huge water change (90%) and turn the heater down. So I did that.
Went to test everything one final time a day later and before adding some fish and hey presto! the nitrites are back to 20ppm!!! Did I kill my lovely nitrite gobbling bacteria with fresh water and prime? Can anyone tell me what I may have done wrong?And more importantly how can I fix it? I was soooo close to getting my fish!!!
Thanks Lynne :confused: :eek:

Water changes are the key. Make sure to do water changes once a week. Remember to use water conditioner as an option of chemicals. YOU ARE READY TO BUY FISH. Adding plants will also lower nitrates.

I hope I was able to help!

Thank you Denbros. A great help! What % of water change per week is the norm? And what do you recommend as a conditioner? I definitely want happy fish and not dead ones!

Back
Top Bottom