Want to get started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishMan2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm new to this whole forum thing and want to get started with an aquarium. I don't have any tanks or supplies, and almost no experience with aquariums. Can anyone give me some advice to get started?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi I'm new to this whole forum thing and want to get started with an aquarium. I don't have any tanks or supplies, and almost no experience with aquariums. Can anyone give me some advice to get started?

Take a read here :)

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Did you have any idea on how much space you wanted to dedicate to a tank?

A 75g is a great size starting tank. It's 4' long so can be a problem for some people.

A 40g breeder would be my second choice in tank sizes. That is a 3' long tank.

Thanks for the resources, they look really helpful.

Hi FishMan. Beginners often go for a smaller tank with the idea of upgrading if it goes well, however, a larger tank is easier to keep the water stable as it doesn't change as rapidly as a smaller tank. I would go for 40-60g, depending on your space and the fish that you want to keep.

Hey, welcome to the hobby. Can you share your possible home locations. The size of the area or areas you want the tank will dictate how big of a tank you can get. Be sure to check for air vents blowing at the tank, power supplies, and if a window is near by.

Vents and windows can cause temp swings or cold/hot areas of the tank. Windows can also cause allot of algae growth.

Brad McLaughlin
Tampa Bay Area

Back
Top Bottom