Wanting to suggestions for fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aussielouii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Almost 5ft tank!
Wanting fish suggestions or single or multiple?
Really want the fish to match the theme so a little nasty looking mean or not mean not phased.
I live in australia north queensland if that helps.

Attachments

• IMG20171030210401.jpg
    IMG20171030210401.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 86
You could do a group of Green Terror Cichlids if you like the look of them, I feel like that'd be a good fit for your tank. Do you want a community tank or more of a bigger solo fish?

What size tank is it, in gallons or liters. Or measurements (Length and width and height). Filtration? Looks like a large sponge filter and a canister?

If you want to keep a community of aggressive cichlids, IMO much more aquascaping is required. Without significant hardscaping designed to break up line of sight and provide cover and concealment, bad endings will result.
As for aggressive stocking selections, as noted above, Green Terror (Rivulatus), beautiful fish, only one male per tank. Firemouth, Salvini- (female, beautiful), Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, (Festae) Red Terror, (female, beautiful), Convicts (female, beautiful) only one convict per tank.
GreenTexas cichlid.
You might just want a mildly aggressive tank stocked with groupings of Bolivian or Blue German Rams with Blue Acaras.
Regarding the aggressive cichlids, it's important to stock them as juveniles and allow them to grow up together. Even that way there will eventually be injuries or death due to territorial aggression. Occasional re-homing issues will also arise, but when equilibrium is achieved aggressive cichlid communities are awesome.
Note: I keep and have kept all above listed cichlid suggestions.

Depending on the actual size of the tank of course...

Bichirs
a4078ed1938f2831c563b7184379ebac.jpg

Butis butis
crazy_fish_110421a3_w0640.jpg

Purple spotted gudgeon
purple_spot_gudgeon_photo_by_gunther_schmida.jpg

Wolf fish
chkzIMG_9742copy.jpg

African butterfly fish
image.jpg

Certain puffers.

It depends on the size of the tank, wether you want more than one fish, or one type of fish. Not all these fish could mix, just throwing you some ideas

We cant have any live plants unfortunately so if there is something else we can do to correct the tank to help house certain fish that would be great?

Its roughly 570L we have a canister as well as a sponge yes
Im wanting to start with juveniles not adults. I am in australia so some fish aren't available to us.
At this point we are not sure what we want when it cones to numbers or how many thats why im curious and asking peoples suggestions.

What is the dimensions? I got roughly 5 x 2 x 2 ft or something? Mine is shorter at 4ft but same volume so I think more height.

http://aqadvisor.com

Silver dollars I thought of.

Did think of freshwater rays but was getting carried away :)

I know plants are not on the list but val may work if you do look at plants. It shoots by runners so if you get good size with long leaves that will be close to light, the runners can spread from there with young plants.

For cichlids I’d go into a specialty fish shop, ask their suggestions and list back. If you were in Perth I could suggest some shops.

Another to check out would be natives. I’m not sure on temps though but would be interesting to check out the shops.

I think we need to know if interested in single fish or a school. Also I find rehoming fish options can be harder in Australia (worth asking at shop if they know of any rehoming options).

Im considering have an angel tank but should it only be angels? Or can i put silver dollars in or maybe another sort?

Silver Dollars would be a great addition to a large Angel tank. I keep 10 spotted SD' s in my display tank. One of my favorites.

Attachments

• 20170525_200336.jpg
    20170525_200336.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 47
My partner has 1 silver dollae an a spotted silver dollar but he was born with one eye an a cleft lip its adorable haha!

I've looked at getting them several times. Went with angelfish (partly to just get into cichlids a little) but also I like my plants :)

Del. I've kept my school of SD' s for the past 6 yrs. They totally ignored my Anubias, java fern and java moss.I stupidly added a large grouping of African Cichlid dithers into the tank as to dilute aggression of my New Worlds. They consumed every plant in my tank within a month.
The SD' s are so entertaining. This morning the males are all decked out in their mating colors, black fins and spots, Red highlights, chasing the females all around the tank. Snapped some quick pics. Sorry about the poor quality.

Attachments

• 20171102_105402.jpg
    20171102_105402.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20171102_105601.jpg
    20171102_105601.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 40
  • 20171102_105659.jpg
    20171102_105659.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 39
Can i get an ID on these cichlids please

Attachments

• IMG_20171105_224500.jpg
    IMG_20171105_224500.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 45
Kennyi, Cobalt Blue Zebra, Green Terror. If you are set on keeping these fish in the same Tank be sure to aquascape it with a lot of hiding places. If you don't, the Green Terror will take a beating from the Africans.
It's not easy keeping Africans with New Worlds, but it can be done. I used the Africans as dither fish in a aggressive New World Tank. As juveniles, the Africans are far more aggressive and will split the fins of the New Worlds. As the New Worlds mature the situation reverses.
In my situation the addition of Africans was a mistake. Two days ago I brought back 10 beautiful adult Africans to my LFS and exchanged them for juvenile Texas Cichlids.
I understand you have a large tank. Take your time stocking it. Watch the look and behaviors of your fish types and then decide which direction you want to go. Remember, your Africans originated from more or less inland oceans and act more like reef fish. New Worlds are jungle river and Swamp fish, polar opposites. Hope all goes well.

Back
Top Bottom