Was I given bad advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JSkogh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am very new the aquarium world, so forgive my questions in advance.
I just bought a 30 gallon freshwater tank and I'm in the process of cycling it. I told the guy at the aquarium store I want to have 2 angel fish as my showcase with some community fish around them. He helped me pick out a few fish to get the cycling process started: 2 danios and 2 tiger barbs.
I don't plan on buying the angels until my tank is at ideal levels. However, I'm wondering if the tiger barbs were a bad recommendation? Do they get along okay with Angels? What about gouramis?

The tiger barbs are indeed a bad idea. I'd take them back and up your school of danios to 6. Sadly a 30g is only big enough for one angel.

I had a feeling the tigers might have been a bad choice... I will exchange them ASAP! I wish the guy at the fish store advised better.
Can I put an angel with a gourami?

I don't like keeping gouramis with angelfish they always fight it seems like. In a 30 gallon I would suggest a single angelfish but you could have a pair in a 30 IMO. But I would not keep tiger barb with angelfish the tigers will nip angels to death. I wouldn't keep danios either they are very nippy. After you cycle the tank completely I would do a stock of something like this.

1- Angelfish
10- Cardinal Tetras
1- BN Pleco
8- Cory Catfish

Or 2- Dwarf Gouramis
8- Cory Catfish
1- BN Pleco
8-Danios

I would disagree that a 30 gallon can only house 1 angel. A pair do fine in a 30. Most breeders use 20s for a pair. The rule of thumb for angels is one per 10 gallons. However, if they don't have enough room they may fight. Even if they have lots of room they might fight if you have a couple of males.

Not true a 30 I agree is big enough for 2 angels but the amount of other fish you can have drops drastically and you can't keep an angelfish in a 10 gallon. A 6 inch tall by 5 inch long fish doesn't belong in a 10 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom