Water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senorkevin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is the best way to change the water and refill the tank?
Today was my first water change and I used some jugs to empty and refill the tank but when I was refilling the tank, all the gravel got pushed to the edges of the tank.
Any ideas?

Place a clean bowl in the tank and direct the flow into that while pouring in new water. Or you can get one of those hang on clear specimen containers (the same ones they use at the pet store when they are catching fish). Drill a several holes in the lower half of it. Hang it on the tank rim with the container on the inside of the tank and pour slowly.
BTW - I don't use either method (anymore). I have a pump shelf (for air pumps) and I hang it on the inside and it deflects the incoming water sideways. Was extremely good to have when I had sand in my tank.

The bowl/plate trick usually seems to work well. Basically you are looking for something to baffle the flow of the incoming water.

I just use a pitcher to pour the water in my 10g tank. I block the direct flow with my hand while pouring slowly and all goes well. This is in a dirted tank where messing up my substrate would cause havoc.

I just use a siphon to transfer water into my tanks. For bigger tanks you can always use a python water changer.

I would have never thought to use my hand! Good idea!!!!! I have been using paper towels on my dirted sand cap to keep the sand in place and the dirt underneath!

I use a small pump and attach tubing to that, and put in the bottom of the bucket. Turn it on, let the water run up the tube, run the water against the glass, so it spreads out and very little of anything is disturbed. Before I got a Python style water changer, this is how I did all the water changes. Saved a lot of lifting.

Back
Top Bottom