Water change procedure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmac

Aquarium Advice Regular
I use NutraFin AquaPlus+ to remove chlorine and chloramine from my tap water... this is a bit of a grey area for me... this is how I have always done it so please tell me if this is bad and a better way of doing things when doing water changes:

1). Gravel vac/remove water from tank
2). Fill empty bucket with tap water.
3). Boil water in the kettle and add to bucket of water to make the water temperature warmer for adding to the tank.
4). Add required amount of AquaPlus to the bucket.
5). Swirl hand around in bucket to mix the dechlorinater etc and make sure the water is warm enough.
6). Add to the tank again.

I am just unsure how long I should be perhaps waiting to let the AquaPlus take its affect on the water before putting it into the tank, or is putting it straight into the tank from the bucket fine as it will get swirled around the tank by the filter and can do it's job then anyway?

Many thanks.

I put my declorinator in the bottom of my bucket before I add the water, that way it mixes in good, then I just add it right to my tank.

How come you boil water? Do you have a hot water faucet?

I do have a hot water faucet but I just find it easier to get a decent temperature that works for me with the water volume size etc by filling it with cold tap water and adding 1 kettle full of hot water... seems about the right temperature to me anyways.

i add my dechlorinator (prime) to the tank as i am filling it with my python (fancy gravel vac that hooks up to faucet) the python also will such out water...so not buckets for me :D just have to match water to approximate temp...

Back
Top Bottom