Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to tak5
Water changes

I'm new to this,just started a 29gal freshwater aquarium 2 1/2 weeks ago, been adding fish 4 at a time over 3 day period , (up to 6 neon tetras,1 Beta, 5 zebras, 2 danios, 2 catfish& 2 danio's not sure what they are, but were free ) after about a week noticed water level dropped a inch or so in the tank, so added a gal of treated water after letting it sit for 24 hours. Well now adding chlorine treated gallon about every other day, (my figure is 15 gals in 30 day period). Is it still advisable to do 20% water changes, all fish seem fine at this point in time. Thanks for the help. Tom

Old 02-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Hi and welcome!
Your tank will be cycling. The fish may seem fine but the ammonia will be rising and soon it will start to effect them. Daily water changes will be needed.
Please read this.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ium/Page1.html

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yep, you will need to get yourself a test kit (API master test kit is recommended) and start testing your water daily. do water changes as needed to keep your levels in check. the link mumma gave you is great! read and follow, ask any questions you have!

welcome and good luck!
OH, and yes you are fine to be adding that treated water and yes I would be doing at least 20% water changes weekly - 50% weekly would be better, but with a fish in cycle you will be doing these anyway
Old 02-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank Cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak5 View Post
I'm new to this,just started a 29gal freshwater aquarium 2 1/2 weeks ago, been adding fish 4 at a time over 3 day period , (up to 6 neon tetras,1 Beta, 5 zebras, 2 danios, 2 catfish& 2 danio's not sure what they are, but were free ) after about a week noticed water level dropped a inch or so in the tank, so added a gal of treated water after letting it sit for 24 hours. Well now adding chlorine treated gallon about every other day, (my figure is 15 gals in 30 day period). Is it still advisable to do 20% water changes, all fish seem fine at this point in time. Thanks for the help. Tom
Hello tak...

"Fish In" cycling is an effective method of growing your biofilter. However, you need to monitor the tank water daily or you risk losing your fish. If you don't already know, you must test the tank water daily and if you see even a trace of ammonia or nitrite in the water, you must remove and replace a quarter of the tank volume, to restore the water chemistry to normal.

When you have several tests reading "0" ammonia and nitrites, only then can you add a few small fish. I prefer Platys or Zebra Danios, they're as hardy as any and will easily survive the cycling process.

Above everything else, have fun!

B
Old 03-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to tak5
Thank you for the help, Tom

Tags
water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com