Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tak5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to this,just started a 29gal freshwater aquarium 2 1/2 weeks ago, been adding fish 4 at a time over 3 day period , (up to 6 neon tetras,1 Beta, 5 zebras, 2 danios, 2 catfish& 2 danio's not sure what they are, but were free ) after about a week noticed water level dropped a inch or so in the tank, so added a gal of treated water after letting it sit for 24 hours. Well now adding chlorine treated gallon about every other day, (my figure is 15 gals in 30 day period). Is it still advisable to do 20% water changes, all fish seem fine at this point in time. Thanks for the help. Tom

yep, you will need to get yourself a test kit (API master test kit is recommended) and start testing your water daily. do water changes as needed to keep your levels in check. the link mumma gave you is great! read and follow, ask any questions you have!

welcome and good luck!
OH, and yes you are fine to be adding that treated water and yes I would be doing at least 20% water changes weekly - 50% weekly would be better, but with a fish in cycle you will be doing these anyway

Tank Cycling

I'm new to this,just started a 29gal freshwater aquarium 2 1/2 weeks ago, been adding fish 4 at a time over 3 day period , (up to 6 neon tetras,1 Beta, 5 zebras, 2 danios, 2 catfish& 2 danio's not sure what they are, but were free ) after about a week noticed water level dropped a inch or so in the tank, so added a gal of treated water after letting it sit for 24 hours. Well now adding chlorine treated gallon about every other day, (my figure is 15 gals in 30 day period). Is it still advisable to do 20% water changes, all fish seem fine at this point in time. Thanks for the help. Tom

Hello tak...

"Fish In" cycling is an effective method of growing your biofilter. However, you need to monitor the tank water daily or you risk losing your fish. If you don't already know, you must test the tank water daily and if you see even a trace of ammonia or nitrite in the water, you must remove and replace a quarter of the tank volume, to restore the water chemistry to normal.

When you have several tests reading "0" ammonia and nitrites, only then can you add a few small fish. I prefer Platys or Zebra Danios, they're as hardy as any and will easily survive the cycling process.

Above everything else, have fun!

B

Back
Top Bottom