Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garjam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How often should I do a water change. I've got a fluval chi 25 litre with half dozen fish in the water is Crystal clear I've had the tank about 3 months. I've be doing 10% every now and then. I've had the water tested and it's perfect

As long as there's not too much waste in your aquarium and your water readings are fine, every now and then is okay. Just make sure the waste doesn't accumulate too much, or it can cause toxic levels and hurt your fish. As long as you do enough to keep the substrate clean and levels even, you're good. How often just depends on how many fish you have.

Um, what fish? That's about 6.5 US gals, not big enough for most fish let alone half a dozen. What were the exact results from the test? Crystal clear water isnt' an indication of much; there still could be toxins in there, not to mention waste buildup and uneated food which can deteriorate water quality. I'd do at least 50% weekly water changes and either upgrade the tank soon or start returning some fish.

Half a dozen fish in that size tank; I'd be changing 50% every or every other day.

Water Changes

How often should I do a water change. I've got a fluval chi 25 litre with half dozen fish in the water is Crystal clear I've had the tank about 3 months. I've be doing 10% every now and then. I've had the water tested and it's perfect

Hello Gar...

Am surprised no one has discouraged you from setting up, let alone putting even one aquarium fish in such a small tank. You'll need to change half the water in the tank a couple of times a week, at least, to even come close to keeping the water clean for either fish or plants.

If you're really serious about the fish keeping hobby, then save your money and find a place where you can keep at least a 30 gallon tank.

B

They are all small fish like teras etc so how many fish should I be keeping in a tank this size I have a vac cleaner that I clean the gravel with every other day and I have change 20% of the water every day since I asked this question

Water Changes

They are all small fish like teras etc so how many fish should I be keeping in a tank this size I have a vac cleaner that I clean the gravel with every other day and I have change 20% of the water every day since I asked this question

Hello again Gar...

The water surface on such a small tank doesn't provide healthy gas exchange. Oxygen needs to get into the water and carbon dioxide to escape. Any missed water change, a failed heater, filter, mistakes in feeding, etc. can foul a small amount of water very quickly and kill the fish. A large tank, with a large volume of water will easily handle a mistake or two in tank management. It simply spreads the mistake out over all the water.

All Tetras are schooling fish and need room to swim in one direction for a good distance and need a lot of plants to feel secure. A small tank provides no room for either.

Putting even one fish in such a small tank would be like confining your dog or cat to the house bathroom.

B

A single betta maybe.
It's not just about size of fish and tank but also temperament/needs of the type of fish. You should probably think about researching exactly what types of fish you have.. It sounds like maybe you have different random fish maybe?? And seeing what you need to do to meet their needs or rehome them if you're not up to providing it.

ETA - as mentioned about tetras are schooling fish. They need more room than you have as well as at least 5 of each kind generally. If you have a mix of differing tetras you really need to see which ones you have and research their schooling habits/needs.

Back
Top Bottom