Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taiter42

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 37 gallon tank has been set up for awhile now still not sure if its been cycled completely. thought it was added fish ammonia was high did a water change some how ph jumped long story short fish died and my tank has been running for a few weeks now with just the tank. hoping its cycled will post a test later after i complete it.

whats the best was to do a large water change and not shock the fish. i have been taking out of my tap and adding to the tank do i need to set it in buckets first and let warm to room temp or...

You'll want to match the temp as close to the temp of the tank as you can. If you put water in that was drastically different it probably shocked the fish.

What are your current readings for ammonia and ph from your tap?
What are your current readings for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate in your tank?

Tank Cycling

My 37 gallon tank has been set up for awhile now still not sure if its been cycled completely. thought it was added fish ammonia was high did a water change some how ph jumped long story short fish died and my tank has been running for a few weeks now with just the tank. hoping its cycled will post a test later after i complete it.

whats the best was to do a large water change and not shock the fish. i have been taking out of my tap and adding to the tank do i need to set it in buckets first and let warm to room temp or...

Hello tait...

Blow the dust off your API test kit and check for traces of ammonia and nitrite in the tank water. Traces of either will kill most fish. If you're cycling with fish, you must test the water daily and remove and replace 25 to 30 percent to keep the fish alive. Your tank isn't cycled until you have several daily tests with no traces of the above toxins.

The replacement water needs to be close to the same temperature as that in the tank. A little warmer is preferable to cooler. Use the small thermometer from your tank to test if needed. Weekly water changes of half the tank's volume will maintain a stable water chemistry. The fish and plants will adapt to the tap water, you just need to change it out regularly.

B

Back
Top Bottom