Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tukie2kie

Aquarium Advice Regular
OKay I am finally done with my fishless cycle (as of today) both nitrites and amonia fell down to 0ppm.
I know that i need to do a 50% water change b4 I get fish.

How do I go about doing a water change, i do not have any hose/vaccum system but I have a friend who does.

Is it crutial to change out the water with a gravel vac right now or can i simply scoop out 1/2 the water (because i do not have any fish yet)

I understand the reason for using a gravel vac th change water when you have fish in your tank, i just didnt know if there was any other reasons to do that right now or if I could just scoup 1/2 of the water out and replaces it.

(I do have PRIME to dechlorinated/condition the new water so i have that part covered)

For now, just scooping the water is fine. Only need to gravel vac once you start dealing with fish waste in the gravel. In fact, since some of your beneficial bacteria are likely growing on the surface of the gravel, I would avoid disturbing it any more than necessary for the first few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom