Water Changes During Fish-In Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coreygeorge

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I understand it is controversial for some people, but I'm doing a fish-in cycle for my 75 gallon tank, I've read up and feel good about it - and did a semi-fish-in cycle with my 10 gallon when I ran into problems once

The fish I'm using are from my 10 gallon tank (2 skirt tetras, 5 neon tetras, 1 corydora, and a snail -- all very healthy). I also have 3 live plants in the tank.

From my 10 gallon I also added all my gravel, my decor (rocks, fake plants) and in addition to the new filter I have my filter from the 10 gallon running with the new tank as well to help the process.

My only issue is water changes, I've read suggestions that say do 15-30% to 50% a day, or at least every other day.

What are everyone's opinions on this? Would a 50% work every day? Or every other day? Time isn't an issue, I'm going into finals and Christmas break so I have the time to put into it, just curious about what is the best route.

Would doing smaller changes like 20% be best to start and work my way up to 50% for the sake of the fish??

Let your ammonia and nitrite tests determine you water change schedule. Get a good liquid test kit.

If the only thing you have in there is the stuff from your 10g then you'll most likely be fine on a weekly wc routine.

I wouldn't use Neons for a fish-in cycle and wouldn't feel totally safe using Black-skirts either (though they're definitely hardier). If you're dead-set on using fish from your 10-gallon to cycle your new tank, I'd only use the Black-skirts (and I'd get another four or so, as they're happier in shoals).

You don't need any special hardy fish if you are keeping the ammonia and nitrite minimized, which is really easy in a large tank with light stocking. Plant it out and it may never spike.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

As you're using your filter from your old tank and no increase in stock I would have thought you are fairly safe. You are not really doing a fish in cycle from scratch. As above, just monitor levels carefully and WC as required.
Just be careful when you remove the old filter that you haven't done it too soon and expect a mini- cycle while the BB on your new filter catches up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fish In Tank Cycling

Hello corey...

The point of cycling a tank with fish is getting a steady source of ammonia from the fish waste to feed and grow the good bacteria. Small water changes, roughly 25 percent, will grow the bacteria quickly and still keep the water a bit cleaner for the fish. That's why you use hardy fish, they'll tolerate the less than good water conditions that come with the nitrogen cycle. Large water changes will help keep the fish healthy, but remove the ammonia and nitrite needed to grow the bacteria.

B

Thank you all! Sorry it took me so long to respond, just finished finals

The tank is doing great, just had my water tested at the store when I ran in and it's perfect levels so I'll keep up with the 25% changes, seems to be doing the trick

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom