Water Changes - How Often?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do 40% on both my tanks weekly. I purchased a python..wow, what a peice of equipment. Will save you from back pain from lifting buckets, and all you have to do is sit there when your tank is filling back up.

I do 50% a week and that gravel vac is similar to the python. You will love it. Also use a good dechlorinator like Prime.

I do 50% weekly on my 10, 20, and 29g tanks. However, today I did 75% on my 29g and 90% on the 20g. The massive change on the 20g induced a pair of GBR's to spawn. It was their first time spawning and unfortunately the eggs were eaten.

Forgot to mention...Prime is my dechlorinator of choice. 1 bottle will last forever.

Oh man, everyone does 50%...should I be doing that too? :lol:

Damn right blackhills, gotta love that 1 capful equals 50 gallons.

realdeal said:
I have a 29 gallon fully cycled and active tank. I am just wondering how often is the "norm" to do water changes? Also, how much water should be changed? I'd like to get my tank on a regular schedule but I don't want to go overboard.

Is this a good product to use for the water changes?
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18377/si1380184/cl0/leesultimategravelvacuum25ft

I do 20 to 25% partial water changes every week depending on the tank size (smaller tanks get bigger percentage changes) but the amount you do really depends on your nitrate levels. Higher levels can be caused by heavy stocking or poor filtration. Have you measured your nitrate levels to see if they are high?

My tanks are all planted and tend to be lightly populated. Both reduce the necessity for large water changes IME.

I use Prime as my dechlorinator.

I have a medium planted tank and it is not understocked, but the smaller fish create a smaller bioload. The plants keep up with it well. I end up doing 30% water every two weeks. I'm thinking of once a week to keep any specks of algae down.

The more you can the better. You could actually do a water change everyday but in small amounts (5-20% of decholorinated and "healthy" water) and it would increase the growth of your fish, as well as keep nitrates down, keep your fish healthier, possibly bring out the colors. I've read of people setting up a system that automatically changes the water on there tank on a daily basis so all they really do is feed, vac once in a while, clean filters, basically minimal maintenance. For my tanks, I do large water changes. My two show tanks I do anywhere from 65-75% once a week. My grow out tanks usually 75-85%, and my odd ball tank about 80%.

Back
Top Bottom