Water changes once cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
How often should I be doing WC's now my tanks are cycled? One a week? Once every two weeks? Or should I just go by doing a WC if ammonia or nitrite shows up again? I've only done one small WC (about 5g WC) on my 30 since its been up and running. I've been testing for a week and am still getting cycled readings, even after adding an angel to the mix, only had two platys I cycled my 10g with (going on 4 days of cycled readings since adding the angel).

Once fish are in there, should do 10-20% PWC every week to keep levels down. I've read on here that one person does them every 3 days cuz the tank is overstocked. So stocking does have something to do with it. But I would start with weekly and see how water params are and go from there!! Good luck!!!!

You definitely want to keep up on weekly 25% water changes. When you test your water, try to keep your nitrates below 40ppm. Your fish can tolerate this level. If your nitrates are above this number do water changes until you reach 40.

How often should I be doing WC's now my tanks are cycled? One a week? Once every two weeks? Or should I just go by doing a WC if ammonia or nitrite shows up again? I've only done one small WC (about 5g WC) on my 30 since its been up and running. I've been testing for a week and am still getting cycled readings, even after adding an angel to the mix, only had two platys I cycled my 10g with (going on 4 days of cycled readings since adding the angel).

You don't have a big bio load on that 30 so IMO you could do 10% water changes weekly and be fine as long as ammonia or nitrites don't spike up. I would test often for the next couple weeks to make sure your tank if fully cycled.

As already stated, about 20% per week. Even though your parameters are good, the idea is to prevent any buildup of nasties. They can creep up on you when you least expect. I vacuum into different parts of the substrate each week to make sure I get any left over food and waste that may have been missed. Filter cleaning should be every 3-4 weeks. As you already know, just take out the media and rinse off the buildup in the tank water you removed.

Thanks everyone. My nitrates so far havent gotten over 20. My 30 has been going for A little over a week now.

I really hate the above answers. they don't really tell you what you need to know. Once the tank is cycled, the bioload will determine how often and how much water needs to be changed. The nitrate number is used to determine the rates. 40 ppm of nitrate is considered the high limit for nitrate, not a number to aspire to. Below 20 ppm would be a better target, and below 10 better still. Every tank is different and telling someone that they should change "this amount this often", can be bad advice. So, the nitrate number can be used to calculate the amount and frequency for minimum water changes. Changing more than the minimum, is a good thing, and is to be encouraged, as it provides a buffer if a change is missed or late. Personally, I never change less than 50% and often more. Clean water is the key to successful fishkeeping.

BillD said:
I really hate the above answers. they don't really tell you what you need to know. Once the tank is cycled, the bioload will determine how often and how much water needs to be changed. The nitrate number is used to determine the rates. 40 ppm of nitrate is considered the high limit for nitrate, not a number to aspire to. Below 20 ppm would be a better target, and below 10 better still. Every tank is different and telling someone that they should change "this amount this often", can be bad advice. So, the nitrate number can be used to calculate the amount and frequency for minimum water changes. Changing more than the minimum, is a good thing, and is to be encouraged, as it provides a buffer if a change is missed or late. Personally, I never change less than 50% and often more. Clean water is the key to successful fishkeeping.

You are correct in everything you say. But how can you say that all the advise given is bad advise? Pretty much everything you do in this hobby is based on estimates, so any opinion that someone offers should be used as a guideline and nothing more. The best thing anyone new to the hobby can do is gather a bunch of information and opinions, then make a decision based on their own situation. And, any "advice" that's given here is geared towards the person asking the question based on the fact that they may not know exactly what they are doing. So, the responses I have read are not wrong, and if the person with the question does any of the things listed, they will only be doing good for their pets.

Sorry if I seem like I'm being argumentative, but i just find your response a little off base.

Depends on stock and bioload. I keep the nitrates in my Fahaka tank under 20ppm, which takes 50% WC per week. I also have some pothos plants in the corner sucking up nitrates. Sensitive fish like puffers and discus should always have the lowest readings of nitrates possible. That's why some people use an automatic water change system, keeping the water really clean.

So basically as long as I keep up weekly changes and figure out a testing schedule that works best for me I'll be good right? Right now I'm testing once a day, it honestly kinda scares me to skip a day of testing. My last WC was small, probably around 10% it I had to guess. I only have 2 platys and an angelfish in my tank now, but whenever I get more fish I will up my WC percentage.

Correct. You really don't have to test the water that often. I too was paranoid at one point! Just remember to add fish slowly, maybe two at a time so you give your bacteria colony time to adjust to the bioload.

PWC can also depend upon other factors than just nitrates.

My source water has a very low KH and as such I have found that the buffers within my tap water get used up quite quickly. I notice this with drops in pH.

My nitrates rarely exceed 20ppm and I have a moderately planted 50g.

Rather than a weekly 50% PWC I find that smaller 20% PWC every few days is helping to keep my pH more stable.

I am planning on getting some crushed coral to help raise the KH and keep my pH higher.

Jon

I think everyone is making this more difficult than it needs to be. If your ph has been consistent, then there is no need to take any extra measures. You can just do regular water changes and be fine. In the end, you just need to find what works for your tank. If your parameters are fine, nitrates staying in a reasonable range and ph remains consistent, weekly 20% water changes and regular cleanings will be fine. I know everyone's tank is different, but I have never tested for kh and gh, and neither have most of the people I know. Those factors come into play when you are keeping sensitive fish, invertebrates, plants, etc, or there is an extreme circumstance with the water you are using.

I'm not trying to start an argument here.....just throwing in my 2 cents. I think people like to complicate things, especially when it comes to people new to the hobby.

creic38 said:
I think everyone is making this more difficult than it needs to be. If your ph has been consistent, then there is no need to take any extra measures. You can just do regular water changes and be fine. In the end, you just need to find what works for your tank. If your parameters are fine, nitrates staying in a reasonable range and ph remains consistent, weekly 20% water changes and regular cleanings will be fine. I know everyone's tank is different, but I have never tested for kh and gh, and neither have most of the people I know. Those factors come into play when you are keeping sensitive fish, invertebrates, plants, etc, or there is an extreme circumstance with the water you are using.

I'm not trying to start an argument here.....just throwing in my 2 cents. I think people like to complicate things, especially when it comes to people new to the hobby.

Sorry didn't mean to get your back up.

I have a planted tank but also am new to the hobby. Was just giving another circumstance where things other than nitrates affect PWC frequency.

Jon

Nah....don't take it the wrong way. After doing so much research and reading so many varying opinions, I've learned that it's much better to keep things simple. Maybe you have tap water that warrants the extra steps. I'm just saying, I've read the op's other posts and have seen her progress. There's nothing that shows her tap water as being an issue, so routine maintenance will be fine in her case. I wouldn't delve into suggesting all these other things unless all the basics have been exhausted and there's still an issue. Please don't take anything I said in a negative way.

creic38 said:

I have to agree. Everyone seems to forget that this forum is titled "Getting Started". It is not titled "Aquarium experts with multiple tanks". All of the info I give is to someone I assume is not sleeping and watching their fish tank 24/7. The original question was for water changes for a new 10 gallon tank. Weekly water changes are not going to hurt the fish. Also, if the nitrates are above 40, it will go below if the water changes are done on a weekly basis.

creic38 said:
Nah....don't take it the wrong way. After doing so much research and reading so many varying opinions, I've learned that it's much better to keep things simple. Maybe you have tap water that warrants the extra steps. I'm just saying, I've read the op's other posts and have seen her progress. There's nothing that shows her tap water as being an issue, so routine maintenance will be fine in her case. I wouldn't delve into suggesting all these other things unless all the basics have been exhausted and there's still an issue. Please don't take anything I said in a negative way.
Glad to know you know my whole situation! And I've never tested my tap for hardness of water or anything... Guess I don't need to since I haven't had any problems this far or should I just to know what my water source is like?

I read this forum a lot! Haha....it's totally up to you whether or not you want to test for that. Like I said, I don't like to make things more complicated than they need to be. If you are not having issues with what you are doing now, then I wouldn't worry about anything else. If you had shrimp, it would be a different story.

creic38 said:
I read this forum a lot! Haha....it's totally up to you whether or not you want to test for that. Like I said, I don't like to make things more complicated than they need to be. If you are not having issues with what you are doing now, then I wouldn't worry about anything else. If you had shrimp, it would be a different story.

I read here a lot too, it's how I've learned a lot of what I know this time around. I don't plan on getting shrimp, don't have much of a desire to have them honestly.

Once a week? =( lol I try and do it once a week on my 39g but after 5 Betta tanks I'm usually tired of taking baths. I do it at least every other week for sure tho, I also have a filter way too big for the tank so I can get away with it.

Most tanks I would do 25% a week tho I do mine on Sunday and skip feeding on Mondays that helps out a lot to skip feeding at least once a week as the fish help you clean up, the sponge on my intake is clear every Tuesday lol

Back
Top Bottom