Water Changing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigBuffaloChip

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 125 gallon aquarium that I'm going to be setting up soon. I've tried to research as much stuff as possible while I'm waiting on the stand to be built. In my head, everything seems to make sense except for one question I have with the water changes. I have city water. If I go to change, say 20% of the water (25 gallons), how do I deal with the chlorine and whatnot from the tap water? I know there are products you can buy to handle that, but do you just dump 25 gallons of tap water into your tank and then add the product? I'm a little worried that the chlorine would destroy the BB that I'm trying to build up. Or does it not work that fast?

I guess one option would be to get a container that can hold the 25 gallons of water and pretreat it before doing the water change...but i would like to avoid having a 25 gallon aquarium setup somewhere just to pretreat water if at all possible.

Am i overthinking things?
Thanks so much for your help, I've learned a lot from these boards already

Never dump untreated chlorinated water in the tank. It must be treated before adding.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm assuming you'll be using some kind of hose? I use a garden hose right from the faucet to the tank, I start by adding a little of the water conditioner first and then keep adding more as its filling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 125 gallon aquarium that I'm going to be setting up soon. I've tried to research as much stuff as possible while I'm waiting on the stand to be built. In my head, everything seems to make sense except for one question I have with the water changes. I have city water. If I go to change, say 20% of the water (25 gallons), how do I deal with the chlorine and whatnot from the tap water? I know there are products you can buy to handle that, but do you just dump 25 gallons of tap water into your tank and then add the product? I'm a little worried that the chlorine would destroy the BB that I'm trying to build up. Or does it not work that fast?

I guess one option would be to get a container that can hold the 25 gallons of water and pretreat it before doing the water change...but i would like to avoid having a 25 gallon aquarium setup somewhere just to pretreat water if at all possible.

Am i overthinking things?

Thanks so much for your help, I've learned a lot from these boards already

Firstly choose a top notch dechlorinated and it seems that Seachem Prime comes out well. It's pricey but not when you see the tiny dosage required. Some dechlorinators seem cheap but soon run out with the heavier dosing.
I add the dose to a 2gallon bucket at the sink, swirl it around to mix it in and then dump it in the tank. Never had a problem.
I've not used a hose to refill the tank and therefore cannot comment.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm assuming you'll be using some kind of hose? I use a garden hose right from the faucet to the tank, I start by adding a little of the water conditioner first and then keep adding more as its filling.

Correct, I bought a hose that connects to my sink faucet. Looks like I'll just buy a 25 gallon aquarium or so and just fill it/treat it before i do a water change.

Correct, I bought a hose that connects to my sink faucet. Looks like I'll just buy a 25 gallon aquarium or so and just fill it/treat it before i do a water change.

If you have the space for another tank, then that should work. Some may view that as an extra step.
I believe gilpi is saying just add some conditioner to the TANK and more as the tank is being filled DIRECTLY from the tap. Pretty sure this is how most Python (and similar products) owners do it.

If you have the space for another tank, then that should work. Some may view that as an extra step.
I believe gilpi is saying just add some conditioner to the TANK and more as the tank is being filled DIRECTLY from the tap. Pretty sure this is how most Python (and similar products) owners do it.

That's what I do as well as Python users.
The days of filling and carrying buckets are over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know others advise against it, but I've always drained the water, treated the current water with Prime then added the new tap water via 50ft Python and never have had a problem personally. I've also added Prime after starting to refill the tank and had no problem as well.

If I had the space for barrels, I'd definitely consider treating the water with Prime and letting it stand for a few days, but I really don't. My main tank right now is a 150 and I frequently do 30-50% water changes once, if not twice a week, so holding 100-200 gallons around isn't feasible lol

Chlorine and chloramine have been my big reservations about using a python or similar device, but I've watched many users on YouTube who do just what you describe (or similar) and have no problems.

I'll probably give a try sooner or later, because, when I get a second or third tank, I'm not doing the bucket routine. :nono:

Back
Top Bottom